Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Stash Busting

Have I even shown you the shawl I'm knitting?

Garter stitch triangular shawl using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1435446&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=
Stash Buster Shawl


I know it's made an appearance on Instagram for my 'post every single day in February' challenge but I'm fairly certain I haven't mentioned it here.

Anyway....

I'm stash busting.  One of my yarn dressers had two drawers of nothing but Wool of the Andes and I decided that needed to change.  I pulled it all out and stuck the sweater/big project quantities back into a drawer.  Next I separated the blues, grays and reds from the greens, pinks and purples.  I am definitely a creature of habit!  All but 3 skeins fell into those color categories!  

I arranged the greens and pinks into a pleasing, (Hopefully. I'm terrible at picking out colors,) display; added two of the three miscellaneous colors into the mix and cast on a shawl. 

Easy top down shawl using Knit Picks wool https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1435446&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=
Wool of the Andes Stash Buster Shawl

As you can see, it's pretty big.  The idea is for it to be a giant shawl that I can wrap up in almost like using a blanket.  The idea is to also use all that yarn I pulled out of the drawer.  You can also see that I'm not worrying about where the yarns stop and start.  I simply start a new one when the old one runs out.  I don't even want any little, tiny balls of leftover yarns when this project is through.  All I want is a big, giant shawl and an empty drawer.

If I stick to my original color stripe plan, I have three more skeins plus the border to go.  I'm not sure if I'll add the border or not.  It's already pretty big and being garter stitch, it's going to grow considerably when I block it.  I don't want it to end up being so big it looks like a weirdly colored bridal train.  We'll see how it goes.

Despite my urge to hurry up and be done with it, this has been a fun project to knit.  For the most part, I change colors after every two skeins of yarn.  When you're used to knitting 450 yard skeins of fingering weight, Wool of the Andes' 110 yard worsted skeins knit up pretty quickly.  The constant color changes help keep it interesting.  Also, being all garter, I can read while I knit.  That helps a lot too.  Also being all garter and thus 100% mindless, it's a good social knitting project.  The pattern I'm using is Grain  although I'm not sure I can claim to be "using" the pattern.  I simply looked at the start up row and made the shawl my own from there on.

And now, I'm off to clean the bathroom mirror and brush my hair.  Based on that photo, I think both of those things need to happen before I spend any more time knitting.

9 comments:

  1. That is going to be so squishy and cozy when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun project! I find that shawls like that are the most useful. I always grab the big comfy ones when I'm cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it looks so cozy and great for wrapping around you. Love the colors and what a good way to use up skeins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun is that? It's going to be such a comfy shawl when it's done. I love it!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for mindless knitting! I am making a newborn hat, so round and round I go! There are times I wish I had a big shawl to wrap up in, one that can be abused and not feel guilty about it! Hm, maybe I should pull all those wool bits and pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mindless knitting and am starting my own mindless garter vest. Wish me luck please. Sometimes garter just kills me if I drop it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color combination! And yay for stashbusting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous!!! I love to stashbust and usually do hats this seems like a better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooohh a big garter stitch shawl sounds perfect ... and I LOVE those colors! (and the stashbusting. and the practicality ... February is cold!)

    ReplyDelete