Friday, February 21, 2020

Goals!

I'm pretty impressed with myself these days.  Okay, I'm also The queen of denial so I'm totally, 1,000% ignoring the number of times I've broken my yarn diet.  But being the queen of denial, I'm ignoring that.  Instead, I'm focusing on the positive things.

Every year I set goals for myself.  I write them down then I basically ignore them.  But this year...

This year, I knew life would be a little rough and 99% of my days would not go as planned.  I planned on not living with a plan and I set my goals accordingly.  I still have goals for the year, they were just much more doable than normal.  And guess what - I'm actually doing a few of them!

It's only February and I've already read more than half the books on my list.  Not having internet (i.e. Netflix) sure is helping with that one.

One of my yarn drawers is ... well, not empty, but it has a definite empty corner.

I have not bought a single pen in 2020!  (We won't mention the notebook count.  We are focusing on the positives here, not the slip ups!)

I set a goal to increase the average number of monthly blog readers by the end of the year.  The goal I set had me increasing readership by about 300 each month.  It was a pretty 'out there' goal that I never expected to come close to reaching.  But, as of today, I only need to increase readership by an additional 538 in order to reach my goal for the whole year!  I have no idea why, but I'm way ahead of where I expected to be this month but thank you!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  That is all your doing and I can't express how grateful I am.  I do wonder though, can I look a gift horse in the mouth?  Can I ask that you share a post or two over the next few months?  As excited as I am now, I can't imagine how fantastic it would feel to reach my annual goal in the first quarter.  There might even be a give-away if that happened!

Another goal I set for myself was to learn certain things.  I'm already making progress on mastering Excel.  I'm far from a master but I can do a lot more with it now than I could in December.  And, remember my goal to learn to knit with two yarns in one hand?  Done!  This one was so easy to learn I'm embarrassed that I had it on my list in the first place.  

https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1435446&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=
Lofoten knit with Wool of the Andes

Now, if I could only learn to count.  Apparently this Lofoten hat is going to give me lots of practice knitting with two colors in one hand.  I'm about to tink the last row for the second time.  Good grief!  The pattern says to knit two yellow stitches then one gray and repeat.  Twice now I have knit two yellow and two gray. Argh!  But hey - I'm being positive here.  I'm choosing to think of it as more practice at two color knitting.   And, there is no deadline for this hat.  Thankfully!  Because it may be next February before I get past this one row.

I have to say though, despite my inability to count, I really like this method of holding the two yarns in one hand.  My stitches, floats and gauge seem to be much more even than when I knit with two hands.  I think there will be much more colorwork in my future!

And again, thank you all for showing up here and reading my blog.  I still don't know why you do.  According to all the 'how to blog' books, each post should be either educating you or selling you something.  That definitely doesn't happen here.  I just talk to you about my knitting instead of to my family.  And believe me, they are thankful!  I imagine my marriage would have lasted about 20 minutes if I talked this much about knitting to my husband.  We are both thankful for your continued presence here!

And while I'm blathering on about how thankful I am....  Many of you have blogs that I follow religiously.  Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been commenting lately.  My apologies for that!  I'm still reading, but I have to read them on my phone most of the time and my phone refuses to allow me to comment on anyone with a Wordpress blog.   It sends me into a never ending loop of wanting me to log in but then it wants me to create an account but it won't let me create an account until I log in.  Anyway, please know that I'm still reading.  I'm just commenting in my head instead of on the screen.

23 comments:

  1. You gave me quite a scare! I thought that hat was a match for the Knit Picks Lofoten sweater I've been working on for THREE YEARS. You know I would have had to make one too but I am up to eyeballs in colorwork at the moment. Whew. Bullet dodged. Having said all that..congrats on learning the one handed thing. I've seen people knit that way. I tink back that way and I've been doing a lot of that lately myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the scare! You dodged the bullet and it hit me. I want to knit ALL the color wit things now.

      Delete
  2. I think given how challenging this year is for you, buying yarn is certainly much better than many of the alternative ways of dealing with stress -- and you can get some warm things out of it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could only convince my health insurance to pay for the yarn.... 😀

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on ALL of this! Now I'm curious about knitting with two colors in one hand. I've done some colorwork and enjoyed it, but I didn't hold both colors in one hand. Hmmm...now I have to investigate that. This blogging community sure is a nice one, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how it would work for "throwers" but it's super easy for continental knitters!

      Delete
  4. I went through that Wordpress cycle too. I got an account finally and then when I didn't like it couldn't get RID of it. YIKES.

    Good luck on all of your goals. Looks like you are doing pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful hat and I hope you meet your goals!! blogging is where it is at for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you're on a roll with meeting your goals. My blog doesn't do any of those things either, I just talk about my life and knitting/crochet/cross-stitch. And I think of the people who read it as my friends. Some have become very good friends. But then again, I don't have a lot of readers either. I'm happy with those who do come to visit.
    Your hat is coming along great. I've been tring to do a little bit of colorwork on some of the hats I'm making for the nursing home. I'm still not real comfortable with it but I'm enjoying the process.
    Blessings
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made some great friends through various blogs. The blogging community is magical!

      Delete
  7. Jeannie , glad you hear your reading posts even if you cannot comment! I get it.
    Good luck with your readership goals! wow. I have the same number of commenters most of the time. As I began to blog I wanted a big readership, but my little loyals have become so dear to me. As long as y'all keep coming I'm good. If you can have a contest, it sometimes helps boost readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why I'm so excited about the numbers because nothing would change if I had 1 or a million readers.

      Delete
  8. My new favorite thing to say (remember, this is my year of AND) is "It's ALL good" ... and this post is a great celebration of that. I must admit I can't imagine life without Netflix and yet look how much reading you're doing. You're also knitting a lot ... and good stuff there too (I am a 100% thrower - even with five colors, I'd be holding them all with my right hand and I have never had any trouble with my tension) I'm glad we found each other and look forward to connecting more this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Five at once! Very impressive! And thanks! I'm looking forward to connecting more too! I love the friendships I've made through the blogging world.

      Delete
  9. I have tried to knit with yarn in two hands several times, but as a thrower, it has just not worked for me...argh! I am glad you are getting “experience” by way of thinking back...that is really looking in the positive side of things. I do enjoy reading your blog, despite not being a blogger myself...thank you🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading!
      I'm always impressed with anyone who can successfully throw their yarn. Its how I was originally taught to knit but I'm horrible at it.

      Delete
  10. I haven't don't the two yarn knitting in a while, but when I learned how it really speed things up. Congrats on the 'reader' goals! :) Sometimes it is just nice to read about someone else's life/projects and pictures are always a bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always enjoy reading other's blogs, specially yarn obsessed knitters'. They make me feel like maybe I'm not as crazy as my family thinks I am. 😀

      Delete
  11. Yay for 2 color 1 hand knitting!!! I say knit how it works for you and ignore the advice from those who aren't in your shoes! I can't comment on Google account blogs on my phone. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Given that you are having a challenging year, I think buying yarn is perfectly reasonable. Mind you this from the woman who wasn't going to buy any sock yarn until she knit up what she had and recently purchased three skeins for said socks. Anywho keep reading. I like the shawl in the posts below.

    ReplyDelete