Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Gloucester Knitting Retreat


The knitting community is an amazing group of people. 

I was so excited to be invited to attend Gloucester’s annual knitting retreat this year.  If I understood correctly, to honor a passed member of the now defunct Gloucester?? Mathews County?? Middle Peninsula?? (I really don’t know their exact name) knitting guild who always knit blankets for the animal shelter, a group of knitters gets together once a year and spends the day at Beaverdam Park in Gloucester knitting and eating delicious pot-luck foods.  They charge a very small admittance fee which is then donated to the Matthews/Gloucester ASPCA.  This year, they raised over $200!

Being shy and a total wallflower and knowing only one other attendee slightly, I’d planned to make an appearance, see what it was all about and then leave.  I ended up staying six hours and I made several new friends. 

Fall leaf stitch markers from The Wren's Daughter purchased at Gloucester knitting retreat.
Can we skip spring and summer and go straight to fall so I can use my new stitch markers?

The park's lodge is the perfect place to hold such an event.  It sits right on the edge of the water and the view was gorgeous.  The view inside the lodge wasn’t too bad either.

Yarn Matters and Shanzi from The Wren's Daughter.
Love to see yarn sellers playing nicely together

Yarn Matters and The Wren's Daughter were there selling their wares.  I almost got away without buying any yarn.  Almost.

fingering sock yarn Fox - Movie Night, superwash wool and nylon
The Wren's Daughter, Movie Night

As much as I wanted to buy every skein on Yarn Matters' table, I was able to resist because I’d just been in their shop recently and pretty much bought the place out.  But The Wren's Daughter was a different story.

Dragonfly, sock/fingering yarn, superwash wool
The Wren's Daughter, Mulled Cider
  
Shanzi was a delight to chat with and had The most gorgeous yarns for sale.  She also had beautiful handmade jewelry and stitch markers, but her yarns…. Goodness.  Well, who could blame me for blowing the yarn diet?

I’m already looking forward to next year’s retreat.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! Hooray for new friends, new stitch markers, and new yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous yarns! and yay for stepping outside your comfort zone ... I need to do that more often myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I could never have resisted that gorgeous yarn either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you went and discovered new friends and new yarn. That yarn is beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful yarn and fun/pretty stitch markers. And new yarny friends? That is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that yarn is beautiful! I don't blame you for buying it ;-)
    And making new knitting friends is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like such a fun time and where there is yarn there is happiness!

    ReplyDelete