Sunday, February 24, 2019

Sunday Supper

Today's Sunday Supper recipe may not sound like much but we scarfed them down so quickly, I never even had time to think about taking a photo.

Cornmeal Pancakes

1 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
2 TBS sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
Optional:  
5 - 6 slices very crispy & crumbled bacon
1/2 can of corn, drained

Mix the dry ingredients.
Whisk the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Combine everything and stir just until moistened.

Cook as you would a normal pancake.

I have no idea why, but out of the blue, I got a hankering for pancakes.  Except I don't like to eat pancakes because for some reason they destroy my blood sugar.  Twenty minutes later, I'm nauseous and shaky.  No matter what I eat afterwards, I sort of stay that way for the rest of the day.  But I suddenly wanted pancakes.  Badly!

So, what could I eat instead? Hmm....

I decided to try making cornmeal pancakes.  I don't know why I thought they would be any different, but I decided to try.  While I was searching Google for recipes, I decided I'd put corn in them to make them "healthy."  And while I was wondering if we had any canned corn, I suddenly thought.... Bacon!  Bacon would be really good crumbled up in my corncakes.

And so I took this recipe for the basic cornmeal pancakes and added the corn and bacon.  And YUM!  Yum and no weird, shaky blood sugar issues.  Yum and Yay!

And I think I could probably add some finely chopped spinach to the mix to make them extra healthy.  I should probably mention that I have no intention of putting syrup on these pancakes - only butter.  

I'm thinking spinach, corn & bacon corncakes would be a fairly healthy and portable meal to take to work this summer.  Well, portable for sure and healthier than the hot dogs and pizza sold at the employee cafe.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on pancakes. I want them but they make me sick too. Of all my dad's 9 brothers and sisters and my two sisters, Daddio and I was/am the only non-diabetics. I take my blood sugar seriously because I don't want to go through what they go through. Your pancakes sound yummy. I bet it was the corn fiber that helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had regular pancakes for breakfast. Bacon on the side. LOL. But no spinach or corn for my pancakes! Blueberries or bananas, sure, but no veggies.

    ReplyDelete