Sunday, February 17, 2019

Sunday Supper - Barbecue Sauce

If it ever stops raining, we will have barbecued chicken on the grill for supper.  Mike loves to grill in the cold weather.  I don't understand it because he's not a huge fan of being outside in the cold but...  One of his favorite winter activities is standing out on the deck, grilling in a blizzard. 

And when Mike cooks our barbecued chicken on the grill, he will use homemade barbecue sauce.  I stumbled across this recipe five or ten years ago.  I made a few modifications to the original recipe and we've been using it almost exclusively ever since.  

Spicy Barbecue Sauce

2 cups apple cider vinegar
7 or 8 Tbsp. lemon juice (I count 7 and don't worry if I splash a little extra)
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups (1 quart) ketchup
1/2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
3 Tbs. mustard  (I prefer yellow but any mustard works)
2 Tbs. salt
3/4 Tbs black pepper
Tabasco sauce to taste (I use 4 or 5 shakes of the bottle)

Mix the vinegar, lemon juice and sugar in a large sauce pot and bring to a boil. 
Add remaining ingredients and boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour hot sauce into glass storage containers and seal.  Once cooled, refrigerate until needed.


The recipe makes about six cups of sauce.  I usually store mine in pint or quart sized Mason jars.  It lasts almost forever in the refrigerator and the recipe is easy enough to make even when you only need a little bit.

Besides the joy of having Mike cook dinner for me...  Today's joy feature is,

Candy canes help me break my sugar and junk food addiction.
candy canes

Candy canes.  

Really, I'm not still rambling on about Christmas.  I just have a thing for candy canes.  I buy tons of extra boxes of them each year.  Several years ago I discovered that when I go on a health kick and decide to quit eating junk food and/or desert ("desert" meaning an entire giant bag of M&Ms or the entire pan of brownies....) I can eat a candy cane after dinner and be fine.  No late night sugar or salty food cravings.  And while I realize the candy cane is basically pure sugar, it's a lot less sugar than an entire giant bag of M&Ms.  And after a week or two of eating a full sized candy cane, I can cut it down to half a candy cane without withdrawal symptoms.  In other words, candy canes are my go-to health/diet food.  And they bring me joy!



1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing with candy canes. I buy way too many. I still have a box of the little ones that I crush up for a peppermint martini on a chilly day.

    ReplyDelete