Sunday, December 27, 2020

Sunday Supper - Slow Cooker Ham and Black Eyed Pea Soup

Okay, let's be honest here.  I'm writing this several days in advance.  I imagine we'll still be eating Christmas left-overs tonight, not soup.  But....


I thought I'd share this recipe for ham and black eyed pea soup from Betty Crocker.  It's made in the slow cooker and will most likely be our New Year's Day meal.  

You just gotta eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day!  I normally make Hoppin' John which the family tolerates but most don't overly enjoy.  I thought I'd try something new this year.  Besides, it will be a good way to use up those left over ham bits I'm sure we'll have.  

Do you eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day?  Do you have other New Year's Day traditions?  

Growing up, we always took our tree down on New Year's Day.  Never before, and never ever after.  It was the law in our household.  I've kept up the tradition.  It doesn't matter what else is happening that day.  The tree comes down and we will eat black eyed peas.  We definitely need the luck they will bring this coming year!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good after all this Christmas food. I was just thinking about making some bean soup but I don't have any aromatics to put in it. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to eat Hoppin' John. I haven't made it in several years.

    Not sure what we'll have this year, but the soup sure does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom used to make this and it was delicious, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck, have never eaten one, will never eat one. I guess that's MY tradition. LOL! We have to leave the tree up since we can't do our Christmas until Jan 3rd. I am sure my oldest would prefer we waited until Hubster was free from whatever symptoms he is having for 10 months, but that just isn't realistic. If he isn't better by Tuesday we'll just call the whole thing off, but I am hoping that isn't the case.

    ReplyDelete