Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Failing well

I'm failing pretty miserably at this whole knitting blog and Etsy shop thing but that's okay.  Considering everything that's going on in my life these days, I think I'm actually doing fairly well.  The blog, the Etsy shop and the knitting bag don't begin to look like what I'd like for this time of year but...  I'm not in jail, nor am I in the mental institute.  I haven't cried this week nor have I made anyone else cry.  These days, that goes in the Win column.  

Tomorrow I'm going to my very first Alzheimer's/dementia support group meeting.  I hope I don't cry there.  *** The remainder of this paragraph has been redacted to protect the innocent.  My apologies to the family for any hurt or embarrassment I may have caused by my original wording.*** 

But enough about my life drama.  Let's talk knitting.

Weekender sweater knit with Wool of the Andes Tweed https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1435443&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=
Weekender

Yeah, you're going to have to get used to even more horrible than normal photos.  There is just zero time in the daylight hours to knit, much less take photos of my knitting.

Although I haven't cried this week, trying to cook dinner while dealing with the sundowning behavior drove me over the edge last night and the only cure was to watch Grease 2 and sing along, out loud, to the bowling and the Cool Rider songs.  Yes, I'm a total weirdo-geek.  I love Grease 2 for it's ridiculous music.  It's one of those movies that's so, so terrible you can't help but love it.

*** This paragraph has been redacted to protect the innocent.  My apologies to the family for any embarrassment I may have caused by my original wording.***

Sorry.  I lost track of my topic.  Again.  I'm starting to believe dementia is contagious.  Back to knitting...

I started a Weekender using Garnet Heather Wool of the Andes Tweed.  I've never knit with the tweed before and I'm loving it.  It's so much softer than regular Wool of the Andes.  This may be my first project using WotA Tweed but it definitely won't be my last.

The Weekender is supposed to be a quick, simple knit.  It's definitely simple but I have the feeling it's going to take me many, many weekends to finish it.  Between my schedule and my size, you can expect to be seeing this one on the needles for a long, long time.  Sorry about that.  Hopefully a few of the doctors we go see will be running late occasionally and I'll have a little bit more knitting time.  

Only a knitter would wish for lengthy waiting room time.

Oh, and  help me wish my baby girl a happy birthday today.  How in the heck did my baby girl get to be 23?? 

12 comments:

  1. I'm aware of the concept of sundowning but I can't say I've ever seen it personally. My mother-in-law had Alzheimer's but this wasn't something I ever dealt with. I'm glad you can at least find some humor in some of this, I can only imagine how challenging it all is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you've found a support group. Dealing with an Alzheimer's patient can be really exhausting, physically and emotionally, even if you can laugh about it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried so much through my dad's care plan meetings that they started a support group just for me. It really helped to know I wasn't alone. It really is an overwhelming experience to try to stay one step ahead of someone who is living in their own reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your girl!
    I'm glad you're going to this support group, it must be so hard to do this and only people who are doing it too really understand.
    I admire you for even trying. I don't think you're allowed to use the word 'fail' for anything right now, considering your circumstances. ;-)
    Wishing you lengthy waiting hours (and a patient that sits quietly with you) and lots and lots of strength. Oh, and also lots of joy about being able to give this time to your MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I FEEL for you!! Your life has changed so much and you HAVE to keep your sense of humor ......which you luckily have!! As a nurse Sundowning was very apparent in hospitals with the sick. More fevers climbed in the evening and more deaths occurred ! So you are not crazy as you identify the phenomenon! (LOVE your Weekender yarn choice!!!!)

    So true about not minding sitting for an appointment IF you have your knitting g with you!!!��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your Girl!!! And oh my! Your life is just so very full right now. I'm glad you found a support group. I have heard of Sundowning, but never witnessed it - must be so strange. Remember to take care of YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sending you ALL the good-and-patient juju. My mom suffered from dementia -- not from Alzheimer's disease, but from a series of strokes. It is pretty devastating to watch -- and frustrating, confusing, and just plain old sad, too. I'm so happy you've found a support group. (Also . . . go ahead and cry when you need to.) Much XO to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can say sorry, but it does little to alleviate the situation. So I will send up prayers for everyone. Love the yarn color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't experienced dementia first-hand ... my heart goes out to y'all (and wow, kudos again for all you're doing). The support group sounds wonderful for you. maybe you can even knit?! and I am a HUGE fan of anything that can make you laugh, and also of crying whenever you need to. lifting you up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending good thoughts your way. Dementia is just plain awful and sad. So glad you have found a support group and you can knit a stitch here and there. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could give you a hug! I know you are doing your best and I know that you are in a tough situation. I hope the support group helps you immensely. And maybe you need some outside care to come in during the sundown part for one hour so you can get some dinner cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I know about sundowning my friend. When my Dad was in the hospital for aortic aneurysm surgery he got an infection and had a huge downward spiral that left him in the CCU for 11 days. Sundowning was all part of it. He was a very kind man, very nice to people but he called the nurses whores, and told my sister she was a bi*ch. He tried to take out his IV's constantly so had to be tied down. I felt that Adavan was part of it all. And after actually having to threaten the hospital to get him off it, they finally stopped it and he was fine after that. Good luck and know we are here for you.

    ReplyDelete