Friday, October 2, 2020

October - Socktober


I welcomed in October 1st in with a sock cast on for Socktober but I didn't get much knitting done.  I'm okay with that though.


My sister knew I'd been struggling with life stuff recently and took me to the Metro Richmond Zoo yesterday to cheer me up.

It was an absolutely wonderful day and exactly what I needed.  We got to visit with each other which we don't begin to do often enough.  We were outdoors in fresh air most of the time and the weather was perfect.   We got our steps in walking around the zoo, and we saw some friendly animals and few pretty fierce ones too.  


The komodo dragon smiled for us and best of all, I got to hang out with my all time favorite - the giraffes.  I'd warned my sister about my giraffe obsession and that she'd have to pull me away from them kicking and screaming.  Being the experienced mom and grandma that she is, she handled me well.  She maneuvered us around the zoo so that the giraffes were almost the last animal we saw and we'd already used up a lot the animal food we had.  Those giraffes are pretty greedy and once I'd fed them all we had left, they lost interest in us fairly quickly.  It's not that much fun watching someone else feed the giraffes so it wasn't too terrible of a struggle to get me to move on.


I would love to work at the zoo, but that poor girl has THE WORST job ever!  I can not fathom being in the same enclosure with those giant bats.  They were literally a foot or more tall.  I'm all twitchy just thinking about them.


Happy almost Halloween!


5 comments:

  1. I love giraffes. I've always wanted to pet their ossicones to see if they're as fuzzy as they look! We've been to a few zoos where you can feed the giraffes, and my daughter has cracked me up because she's freaked out by their long purple tongues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a nice day out. But geeze, those bats.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you were able to get out and be with family and to get some fresh air. I hope whatever is weighing on you heavily, lightens up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there was a zoo in Richmond. It looks like a good place to relax for a few hours out in the fresh air. That giraffe is just too cute. I didn't know they were that friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to spend a day with your sister and seeing giraffe's is an added bonus. I can't stand bats either. At dusk most nights they used to fly all over our campsite at the lake. It really freaked me out.
    I grew up just a couple of miles from Omaha's Henry Doorley Zoo. It's a world class zoo that takes days to see everything. I'm looking forward to visiting again soon with Piper as my tour guide. She's amazed that her old Grandma went there with my kingergarten class 55 years ago! After all, nothing has been around as long as Grandma!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete