Monday, April 30, 2018

Makers' Monday

Welcome to Makers' Monday! 

I wanted to show you a picture of the finished blanket.

blanket hand knit with scrap fingering weight, mostly sock yarn.
Full size diagonal striped blanket

So, pardon the photo.  Actually, just go ahead and pardon every photo for the next week, month, maybe even year.  We're revamping the interior of our house and it's a disaster.   The entire house is one, giant, half finished work zone.  There are drop clothes, ladders, power saws, drywall tools, buckets of paint, lumber.... everywhere.  The few rooms that either are not being remodeled or that are finished contain the furniture from the ones that are.  There isn't a single room untouched.  It's complete chaos and extremely unphotographic.

Anyway...

The photo and background are lousy, but I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for completing the blanket.  It's laying on a full size bed, unstretched and unblocked.  I'm feeling quite cocky over the fact that I knit it on US4 needles, with fingering weight scrap yarn and knit it, start to finish, without putting it down to work on something else.  That in itself is a major miracle!

I can't get too cocky about it though.  The photo lies.  I still have a long way to go with the weaving in of the ends.  All I've done is pull all the ends to one side of the blanket.  I'd hoped to weave in those pesky ends during the hockey game the other night but....


Knit Picks Hawthorne Fingering Dark Mood yarn set http://shrsl.com/x3wq
So Faded

So Faded took all my attention.  I just couldn't put it down.  It's been years since I've knit myself a sweater, I LOVE the yarn I'm using, the pattern is an easy, top down raglan knit in the round.  You can see from the photo there is a slight bit of texture involved and the color changes will keep it interesting and will keep me motivated to keep knitting.  I'm definitely excited about knitting this sweater.

One last thing about that diagonal striped blanket.  I know - you are sick of hearing about it.  I'm kinda sick of talking about it but....  Many of you have asked if there's a pattern.  There is not.  But I do have my design notes and will put them into some kind of readable/understandable format and post them here on the blog.  I'll have a couple of days off this coming week and hope to get that done then.  Keep an eye out if you're interested.

Well, that's it for today.  Please join me in celebrating #MakersMonday by joining the link up below.

8 comments:

  1. The blanket is VERY cool! I am impressed with how quickly you finished it. I'm betting it was fun to knit with all those color changes (which, of course, means all those ends. . . ). Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! I never got bored with row after row of the same color yarn. It was also quite motivating to see my scrap yarn pile shrink.

      Delete
  2. That blanket looks great! I'm still tempted to start one too, so your notes could be helpful, though I figure it's basically just a huge version of the diagonal dishcloths I make.
    Unphotographic rooms, I have a few of those (hmn, all the rooms in this house?). But the picture looks great and that bed is beautiful! You could easily style some pictures around that headboard, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - the blanket is basically a rectangular dishcloth. :)

      The bed is the dog's. :) Sadly, it's in the only room of the house that gets any afternoon light. I end up pulling the comforter off the bed and photographing on the sheet to avoid the dog hair.

      Delete
  3. The blanket is perfect! I need to start one for my home with my leftover worsteds!! Mindless knitting would be so lovely when I am brain dead! And that So Faded will be gorgeous. I just love that yarn pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to see how my So Faded knits up. And I'll admit, I've been thinking about a worsted weight blanket too. It would definitely help with stash reduction!

      Delete
  4. absolutely stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I love how scrap blankets tend to look like a big hot mess close up but when you step back from them, the colors all blur together and become a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete