Monday, April 2, 2018

Makers' Monday

Why am I further behind on hat knitting than I'd like to be?

knitting a queen size blanket or afghan with left over fingering weight sock yarn
Diagonal Stripe Blanket

Because I've been consumed with knitting this diagonal stripe blanket.  I can't believe how fast it has grown.  And I seriously hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that.

I started the blanket on February 19th and I'm using scrap bits of fingering weight yarn and a US 4 needle (I started out with a 3 then upgraded after a few rows.)  It should be taking me years to knit this thing.  It measures 50 inches across and currently is at the 60 inches in height mark but I plan to add another 10 inches before I turn that top corner.

I'm already thinking about knitting another (or three) in different, planned yarns and colors instead of a mish-mash of scrap yarn.  Those diagonal stripes are more addictive than simple, stockinette pi shawls and I didn't think that was possible.  Good grief!

Hope you'll join me for today's #MakersMonday linkup.

13 comments:

  1. Is there a specific pattern you are using? I'm thinking this would be great for my smaller scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No special pattern, just start with 3 stitches & increase on both sides at the beginning of each row. When it's wide enough, increase on 1 side, decrease on the other, then when it's long enough, decrease on both sides.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing! I love it and can see why it would be an addictive knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to use this idea for my leftover worsted scraps!! It would make a lovely blanket to cozy up under in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it would knit up SO much faster than a fingering weight blanket! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh I love that blanket. I think I could do that and stick with it (I'm not having luck continuing with my mitered squares blanket...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I loved knitting my mitered square blanket, but it's awfully fiddly. But the diagonal striped blanket... other than the shaping at the beginning of each row, it's 100% mindless knitting. Great for reading or scary movie watching...

      Delete
  5. You're on the downhill side of that blanket now! It's charming. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope my attention span doesn't peter out. So far, I'm enjoying the simplicity of it.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love how that blanket is working out! I sort of wish I had enough scraps to start one. I'll have to stop making striped hats with my leftovers and use them for a blanket. Or maybe I could just buy yarn to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors and the diagonal - ness. this will be an heirloom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to look at scrap yarn projects and remembering what project the yarns were originally used for. It's like having a private, coded scrapbook. :)

      Delete