Monday, April 9, 2018

Makers' Monday

Too bad today is Monday and not a Thursday.  I spent my recent day off doing three things.  Well, four if you include all the crying.

knitting a blanket while watching An Affair to Remember and drinking a bottle of wine.
knitting, a movie and a bottle of wine

I turned the final corner on my diagonal striped blanket and am now decreasing on both sides.  After only an inch or so, the rows already feel shorter!

My supervisor gave me 'homework' in the form of a movie to watch.  She and I enjoy many of the same movies so when she found out I'd never seen An Affair to Remember....  I knit and enjoyed the movie while drinking a bottle of wine and cried my eyes out.  (I know! I should have been drinking pink champagne, except, yuck!)  I have to admit, I was a basket case by the time the credits rolled.  Besides the movie being a tear jerker (and I'm sure that bottle of wine didn't help,) the ending reminded me of my own back injury + boyfriend situation many years ago.  Luckily, I did not end up paralyzed, I was fine after the surgery, and the boyfriend didn't listen when I told him to go away.  I can only hope Miss McKay was as lucky.

So let's hope you've been creating more than tears and a slight hangover.  Tell me all about it by joining today's #MakersMonday link up.

18 comments:

  1. Hmn, sounds like a good movie to watch when I'm home alone (husband doesn't like movies that make me cry) ;-) We created a new ceiling in our kitchen last weekend and I did a little bit of knitting on a new project. Surprisingly, it's not a hat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new ceiling sounds like a major event! Congrats on knitting something besides hats. :)

      Delete
  2. Some weekends don't involve much "making" for me at all. But I did begin a major home improvement project, and that counts for a lot! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been ages since I've watched that film, but I remember most of it. I have a bottle of wine and some knitting, so perhaps. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it! I also highly recommend leaving the last glass worth of wine in the bottle. Less headaches that way. :)

      Delete
  4. I have seen it but now can't remember what happens. Guess I need to revisit the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I may even look for a copy to add to my own DVD library.

      Delete
  5. Hi, just found you from Mere Knits, will go back and catch up with earlier posts later today.
    After seeing your diagonal blanket (awesome idea ) I thought you might like to check out Giant Square Scrap Blanket a free pattern on ravelry that starts in the centre and works out to the edge, so every row is knit ....no purl and you can just cast off when it is big enough or you run out of yarn. Good pattern to use up scraps or whatever colourway takes your fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I've knit square baby blankets before but never thought of doing one with scrap yarn. I'm hoping that between this diagonal stripe blanket & the mitered square one I have OTN, I won't have any scraps left but give me a month or two & I'm sure the scrap box will fill back up. Thanks for the pattern idea!

      Delete
  6. No tears or hangovers here .....at least not THIS week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a sad movie, so glad you got to see it. A true classic. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I don't normally like the "old" classic movies but the characters had that wonderful sarcastic flirtation thing going on and that ending! OMG!

      Delete
  8. you'll be done with that knitting project in no time now that you are decreasing! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now decreased enough that I no longer have to worry about the stitches falling off the needles when I set the blanket down. Pretty exciting!! :)

      Delete
  9. The Notebook was the last film that got me all teared up. And I don't often cry watching films...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I didn't cry at movies. It can get embarrassing, specially when it's something silly like my daughter's teen dramas. LOL In real life I'm sort of cold hearted but show me a sappy movie and I'll cry like a baby.

      Delete