Thursday, September 26, 2019

Three on Thursday - OTN

Today's Three on Thursday post is going to be quick and dirty.  I just so happen to have three projects currently on the needles...

Using fingering weight yarn to knit a baby blanket, a sock and an oversized cowl
Three projects currently on the needles

1.  Top left is the dish cloth styled baby blanket. I keep thinking I'm almost ready to start fading into the next color but... Sadly, the blanket is at that stage where even if you knit on it for eight hours a day for three days straight, there is no measurable increase in knitted fabric.  But one day... one day soon I hope, I'll measure it and discover it has suddenly grown six or seven inches since I last measured it fifteen minutes ago.  

The yarn I'm using is the no longer available Sock Labs Stroll from Knit Picks.  I'm quite sad to see the yarn sold out.  It's a delight to knit with.

2.  In the middle is the world's widest sock knit from Patons Kroy Sock in Rusty Stripes.  It's a simple vanilla sock and naturally I didn't do a gauge swatch.  I've knit with this yarn 1,000 times before and my notes in my knitting journal told me how many stitches and what needle size I needed.  My journal was wrong.  Very, very wrong.  

This is actually the second sock.  No SSS for me!  Anyway... For the first sock, I was several inches into it before I paid any attention and noticed that the tube I was creating for my calf was wide enough for my thigh, maybe even both thighs!  I didn't want to frog it and I'm not using top dollar hand spun/dyed yarn... so I just made a decrease row and kept on knitting.  When doing the gusset decreases (the socks are top down) I just kept decreasing until the sock was tight enough on my foot.  Okay, that's wrong.  I kept decreasing until the sock was Almost tight enough.  And I will do the same with the second sock.  And this pair will be the pair I wear when my feet and ankles swollen because I've had a long day on my feet and too much sodium.

3.  At the bottom right, we have the cowl/showl I'm test knitting for Chris Knits.  I finished the smallest size and had plenty of yarn left over so I kept on knitting.  I'm about halfway through the medium size and it looks like I still have enough yarn left to knit the largest version.  The yarn, Eucalyptus Leaves from Forbidden Fiber Co., is a delight to knit with so I'm happy to keep knitting as long as the yarn holds out. 

Oops.  I guess this post wasn't as quick and dirty as I expected it to be.  

Hope you'll join me over at Carole's for today's Three on Thursday celebration.


15 comments:

  1. Glad you've found a way to make the big socks useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need socks that are wide enough for swollen ankles, don't we? I do love the colors. Hope the baby blanket will start growing soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The blanket is must grow soon. I'm running out of yarn.

      Delete
  3. All nice projects (how can your journal be wrong???). I love that Eucalyptus Leaves yarn - gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! How could my journal be SO wrong. I can see my gauge being off enough that I needed to adjust by a stitch or two, but not by 15!

      Delete
  4. You made me laugh with your sock woes. It's funny how we talk about our projects like they are people and we all seem to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed you get the long version, but watch out, those skeins seem to decrease twice as fast the closer we get to the end. And just why is that? Is it a Physics thing? Bad Karma? Or a prank by the universe? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you figured out a way to make the Big Socks work for you! :-) Three great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Oh Oh I Love that shawl!!! Keep going on that baby blanket..they can really drag on I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shawl/cowl is fantastic. I can't wait for Chris to publish it because the knitting world will fall in love with it.

      Delete
  8. Well rats! I hate it when my knitting notes deceive me. The colors of all three projects sure look pretty together. How does that black hole of knitting happen? Sometimes I knit and knit and knit and feel like my knitting is standing still and then all of a sudden I am back to making some progress. I hope the blanket inches pick up speed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, "black hole of knitting" - what a great description!

      Delete