Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Current Cowl

I'm pretty psyched over here.  Chris from ChrisKnitsSews asked me to test knit her new cowl/showl pattern.  Have you ever heard the term showl?  I hadn't heard it used before I began reading about Chris's adventures designing her cowl but this week I've seen multiple people mention it.  In any event, in case you are in the dark like I was, a showl is a cross between a cowl and a shawl.  In other words, it's a cowl, but more shawl sized.  Cowl + shawl = showl.  Brilliant!

Anyway....

I'm test knitting Chris's newest showl design and it's going very well.

test knitting a cowl for chrisknits https://chrisknits.wordpress.com/2019/09/18/wednesday-whims/
Current Cowl knit with Eucalyptus Leaves

The knitting is going much better than my photo taking, that's for sure!  With my work schedule, photos are either taken at 3:00 a.m. or or outdoors, in the bright, noon sun.  You're just going to have to take my word for it that the yarn I'm using is a gorgeous pale grayish green.

You can see Chris's finished version here.  Chris asked me to test knit the smallest size (there's a small, medium & large) but it looks like I'll have enough yarn so I'm going to knit the large one.  Or the medium, if the yarn doesn't hold out.  But I think it will.

Anyway, the pattern....  The smallest version is cowl sized and called Current Cowl.  The largest is definitely shawl sized and is therefore the Shoulder Showl.  The pattern isn't for sale yet but keep your eyes peeled for it.  You won't want to miss it.  I know I'll be knitting multiples.

The design is super simple to knit yet never boring.  You're constantly changing stitch patterns, yet the patterns repeat so it's easily remembered.  The cowl starts off being knit flat then gets joined in the round after a while.  By starting off flat, you get a sort of v-neck shape so that the finished showl doesn't bunch up weirdly around your neck.  I love patterns that incorporate this feature.

So yes, I'm loving knitting the cowl/showl.

And then there's the yarn.  Oh! My! Goodness!  I'm in SO much trouble!  I'm supposed to be using up/getting rid of/not buying any more yarn because we'll be moving soon and my yarn stash already requires it's own oversized moving van.  Then Chris tells me that if I test knit the pattern, she'll supply the yarn.  And she tells me to go to Forbidden Fiber Co. to pick out a skein.

Like there's a chance in Hell I could pick just one.  I think there are only two skeins on the whole website I didn't drool over.  I made Chris pick for me.  She picked Eucalyptus Leaves.

fingering weight superwash merino yarn
Eucalyptus Leaves Fortitude from Forbidden Yarn Co.

And I love it.  The skein I received isn't anywhere near as variegated as the photo shows, but for this project, I'm glad of it.  The yarn is by no means a solid green, but from looking at the photo I'd have expected it to be stripey or spotty.  It's not.  It's simply lovely.  It's a superwash merino, delightfully soft and has great stitch definition.  It also arrived super fast, which is always a good thing.

And did you see all the colors the yarn comes in?  I am in SO much trouble!  I should just go ahead and reserve a second moving van now.

And,

stitch marker from Forbidden Fiber Co.
pumpkin stitch marker

The yarn came with The cutest little pumpkin stitch marker.  I just want to knit All the fall things with this little pumpkin's help.

12 comments:

  1. Such pretty yarn! And that stitch marker is adorable. Enjoy your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's nothing about this project not to enjoy! :)

      Delete
  2. The yarn is gorgeous. I clicked on the site and then quickly clicked off (so proud!!). Love the term showl - what a great word. It is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I've been dreaming about their yarns. Actually dreaming about them! I am in so much trouble.

      Delete
  3. That yarn is so pretty. She made a good choice. I can't wait to see the project finished. I am very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris did make a good choice! Green is my color and this one is pale enough not to scream "I'm green." It will coordinate with most of my winter wardrobe.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I can imagine you're excited. I love that cowl/showl! I hardly ever buy patterns, but this one is on my list...
    I love the yarn too. Such a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pattern is definitely worth owning! I love how it has 3 different sizes and you don't need to know which size you are making at the start. You can just keep moving up a size as your yarn allows.

      Delete
  5. You're a pretty lucky knitter to get to test a fun pattern *and* get beautiful yarn sent to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful pattern and beautiful yarn!! Love that stitch marker too, makes me want to shop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forbidden Fibers is a dangerous place. :) I want every single skein they have and it's not like they only have 15 - 20 colors to choose from. I need to win the lottery! Maybe win the lottery three or four times!

      Delete