Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A log cabin miracle

So, I finished my log cabin shawl a week or two ago.  I even blocked it right away which is fairly unusual for me.  But the shawl was ... dull.  It needed some bling.  I went to the craft store and found the perfect beads to bling it up.  Understated bling, exactly what I wanted.

Darice Venezia crystal beads
crystal teardrop beads

I came home and sewed them on in time to wear the shawl to my knitting group meeting that night.

I added beads to my log cabin shawl to brighten it up.
Bling

And as I walked through the kitchen on my way out the door to go knitting, my husband asked me to hand him the salt shaker.  I reached over the stove to grab the salt and...

Gasp!

The shawl threw itself off my neck and into a pot of spaghetti sauce.

Yes, a full, giant, 20 quart kettle full of bubbling spaghetti sauce.

Holy ^%%$%^&E%%^ Hell!

You have never heard such curse words before!  Words spewed from my lips that I didn't even know I knew!

I grabbed it out of the sauce pot and attempted to toss it in the sink but as luck would have it, it hit the floor instead.  The dog immediately began licking it.

I was so upset I just walked away.  I left my brand new, just finished alpaca, merino and silk, just washed and blocked, just went the trouble to buy and sew beads on shawl laying on the floor and I went to knitting group.

I assumed the dog would eat the entire thing and it would be out of sight, out of mind by the time I arrived home.

It wasn't.  A dear family member had shoved it over into the corner with their foot however.  Very kind of them, right?  At least the dog was helpful in cleaning up where the sauce had smeared across the floor.

Thinking it would be in 1,000 pieces from the dog chewing it, I picked it up to throw it in the trash....  But it was still in one piece!  It was a little hard to tell because of the amount of sauce that was still stuck to it and beginning to harden but... It looked okay.  It had a reddish/orange tint to it and there were still chunks of tomato stuck to it, but the fabric looked to be still in once piece.

I filled the sink with water, tossed the shawl in and went to bed.

The next morning, I rinsed the shawl out a few times, let it soak once more in soapy water, re-blocked it and Voila!

The knit alpaca and silk shawl, cleaned up after it fell in tomato sauce.
A log cabin miracle

You'd never know it ever took a spaghetti sauce bath!

It's a log cabin miracle!


To see if anyone else had a creative miracle this week, join me for today's #CraftingOn link-up.

12 comments:

  1. Omigosh-- I was not expecting a happy ending at all to this story! I am so glad that your beautiful shawl was rescued!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dumped an entire pot of chili on my brand new floor and baseboard in my brand new house, 1 week after construction was finished. I just walked away. Hubster stepped in to clean it up. The shawl is gorgeous! Glad it survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGh! Construction woes! Our bathroom sink top has a giant crack in it where a friend, who was helping install it, treated it a little too roughly. Makes me angry every time I brush my teeth. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my .... I would have just sat down on the floor and cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cussed loud and long enough to keep the tears at bay. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, NOOOO! I'm so glad your story has a happy ending. (Maybe the dog gave you an enzyme-pre-clean???) Love the bling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must be good yarn! My experiences with tomato sauce are a lot worse ;-) I love how the shawl turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've never had tomato sauce wash out of anything before. I was so amazed, I sent Knit Picks an email about it.

      Delete
  6. Your shawl falling into spaghetti sauce must have been awful at the time, but "Words spewed from my lips that I didn't even know I knew!" did make me laugh (sorry!). I'm so glad the sauce didn't stain though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am So happy and amazed that it came clean. As for my curse fest, I think even my construction worker husband was shocked by what came out of my mouth! They say that people who curse when injured feel less pain than those who don't - so maybe cursing helps prevent stains as well. :)

      Delete