Monday, November 20, 2017

Makers' Monday - Beach Stone Bling

Welcome to Makers' Monday, a celebration of knitting designers, artists & creatives of all types. 

Today I'm talking about Io Kikka Design and I'm so happy that this day has finally come!  Several months ago, I impulse purchased a pair of earrings for my daughter for Christmas and I've been waiting, not so patiently, to tell you about them.  Thankfully, I realized that Sarah had a November birthday and I didn't have to wait until Christmas to give them to her.  Yay!


unique, one of a kind jewelry
Beach Stone Earrings from IoKikkaDesign

I really, really hope I don't offend the artist when I call the earrings weird.  (She describes her art as unusual.  'Weird' isn't that different from 'unusual,' right?)  Anyway, I just LOVE the weirdness of blinged up rocks.  Okay, they are really made from beach stones, Adriatic shore beach stones to be exact but....  In our household, any kind of stone, pebble, gravel.... is a rock.  It goes back to Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin and the "I got a rock." quote.  Yes, we are a weird family.  Just go with it, okay?


inexpensive jewelry from Io Kikka Design
handmade, unique, one of a kind jewelry

Anyway,

These earrings are fantastic!  Besides the uniqueness of blinged up beach stones, they are super lightweight.  Sarah put them on in the morning and didn't take them off until bedtime and they never pulled on her ears at all - and she's picky about earring weight, so for her not to complain/remove them...   It says a lot.  


earring bling from IoKikkaDesign

They also look great on her.  They are the perfect length, they are a neutral color so they'll go with any and every thing and there's just that little bit of sparkle that catches the eye from across the room. 

 They also did not turn Sarah's skin green.  Sarah's skin is super sensitive to "cheap" metals and she tends to look like the Grinch after wearing "cheap" jewelry for more than 15 minutes.  (And by "cheap"  I mean anything other than real gold.)

I have to admit, I was a little nervous about ordering from Io Kikka Design,  They are a new shop on Etsy and I was the first to purchase anything from them.  They were located in a foreign country (Slovenia,) and didn't have any kind of a track record.  The transaction went smoothly and proved that I had nothing to fear however.  


inexpensive, unique, one of a kind jewelry
Beach stone necklace from IoKikkaDesign

The shipping was crazy fast (it takes packages longer to reach me from California than it did from Slovenia!) and the earrings arrived, not only packaged securely, but in a very cute and giftable way.  I was very impressed!

So, if you think you might be interested in unique, inexpensive, one of a kind jewelry, definitely check out Kristina's shop, Io Kikka Design.   Her designs would make great Christmas gifts or stocking stuffers.  Or birthday gifts.  Or an 'I finished a never ending knitting project and deserve a new pair of earrings!' gift.  Or what about a gift for showing self control and not buying that gorgeous, but crazy expensive cashmere yarn I saw....?


beach stone jewelry from IoKikkaDesign
Beach Pebble Pendant, IoKikkaDesign

Hmmm..... I did just finish knitting that never ending orange blanket.  I think I deserve at least one of those pendants.  Maybe both of them.  And since I was a good girl and wove the ends in on the same day I bound the blanket off, I might even deserve both pendants and a pair of earrings!

1 comment: