Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Will we or won't we?

Will we get hit by a hurricane or not?  It makes me a little crazy not knowing.  If  Mr. Weatherman can tell me within a 15 minute window of when it's going to start snowing, why can't he tell me if 1) Isaias will be a hurricane or a tropical storm when it passes by and 2) Will it pass by or hit us directly?

By the time you read this, I will probably know the answer to that question, but I'm writing this post on Monday afternoon.  Don't get me wrong - I LOVE a good storm.  I love the ferocity of wild weather.  Absolutely love it!  In fact, I get a little manic right before a big storm hits.  But I'm a little worried about this one.

Back in the day, my Go Bag would consist of my purse, my knitting bag, a book, my toothbrush and if I wasn't pressed for time, a pair of clean underwear.  But now that I'm older, I'm a little more needy.  I'm realizing I'm going to need a whole bag just for the medications!  Good grief!

And there's my mother-in-law to worry about this time around.  I really, really hope we don't have to do the tornado drill or worse, evacuate entirely, with my MIL in tow.

And while those two things run through my mind, I can't help but be reminded of Hurricane Isabel.  We were living about two miles away from this house when Isabel hit.  Isabel was supposed to be a tropical storm and no big deal at all but...  After Isabel passed through town, we didn't see the first Rescue/Aid/Responder for nine days.  We were cut off by downed trees, downed power lines and flooded creeks and rivers.  If my husband and some of the neighbors hadn't cleared the trees out of the roads themselves, we'd probably still be trapped there 17 years later, still awaiting rescue.  And despite the first Responder showing up on day 9, we didn't get our power back on until the morning of day 14.  And this time around, we're even closer to the river and have much larger trees surrounding our house.

I'll admit, I'm a little concerned.  

Oh, and then there was Gaston.  We were actually living in this house while we built our own house when Gaston hit.  Gaston dumped ten inches of rain one afternoon and left us with ten feet of water in our house and no electricity, water or a septic system for six weeks.

They are saying Isaias may dump eight inches of rain on us.  And the rivers are already full.

I'm a little bit freaked out.

Torn between knitting, finishing a book and storm prepping.

But it's okay.  As long as the husband remembers to bring home an extra gas bottle for the grill and a bag or two, or ten, of ice, we'll be fine. 

We'll be fine as long as the we don't loose power for 13+ days.  

Honestly, if we loose power for more than an hour or two, I may only be F.I.N.E.  Say a little prayer for us please.

To everyone else in Isaias's path, stay safe and dry!  And fine, not FINE.  :)

By the way, I finally started reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and I can't put it down.  I am SO glad I got the whole trilogy on my Kindle.  At least if the power goes out, I'll have something to do in the dark.


Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends on social media. Until next time, Happy Knitting!

7 comments:

  1. I hope you all stay safe! Also, a Discovery of Witches is excellent -- one of my favorite reads from the past few years! The second book in the trilogy drags a bit, but the third is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are safe and weathering the stsorm with no major issues. It's raining heavily here...but no big deal and no winds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabel destroyed our beach town so I'm sitting in the basement as I write this where we've been dodging a tornado that came in over the bay early this morning. Ugh....the only thing I grabbed was my phone, some Benedryl and my sock knitting project bag. My priorities at 6 am are not what they should be. At least we still have power at the moment but it's not looking good.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be ready to trade place and you can come here and deal with COVID Wedding hysteria! It's been an emotional roller coaster here since Friday. Oy! I now have 200 2oz condiment cups that will either hold BBQ sauce for 150 or jello shots for me. Either way looks good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending all my good wishes for an "easy" storm for y'all ... a trip to Total Wine would've been on my list - hopefully that's one of those already crossed off items!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hope that you all have a mild brush with the storm. Since tornadoes are what I grew up with, I can only imagine the fear of a hurricane or tropical storm. I do remember riding out a typhoon in my son's apartment in Japan. That was "interesting".
    Take care and be safe.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you are safe and sound! We had rain and it was steady all day long but that was it, we were lucky.

    ReplyDelete