Thursday, August 6, 2020

Three on Thursday - Isaias

To celebrate today's Three on Thursday, I have three random hurricane facts for you.

1.  As hurricanes go, Isaias didn't throw much of a fit.  Locals can probably thank me and my over-preparedness for that.  I fully believe that hurricane preparedness is like having a car warranty or fire insurance.  As long as you have it, you will never need it, but within 24 hours of it expiring or canceling a policy.... Bam!  Your car is on the side of the road and your house is in flames.  That theory applies to making what I lovingly call "protection payoffs" to the fire department and rescue squad too.  I make a donation every year and have only needed them twice - the two years I failed to donate.


2.  That giant puddle was the extent of our damage.  Mostly.  We did loose power for about twelve hours and the basement had two feet of water in it because it took us a few hours to remember to run the generator to the sump pump.  No real damage done though.  Just a lot of empty buckets and my spare Tupperware were floating around.

3.  The tornado didn't get us.  Thank goodness!  At 4:25 a.m. our phones did the Beeeep, Beeeep, Beeeep thing that signals a tornado warning.  Mike got up and looked out the windows and didn't see anything (like he would in the pitch black dark and POURING down rain...) and I decided I would rather die in my bed than go sit in the cold, dark basement with a dead mouse on the floor so I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.  

Three minutes later, the power went out.  Yikes!  Staying in bed may have been a bad decision.

And then the power came back on.  Yay! 

A few minutes later, Sarah came in to announce there was a tornado warning.  The beeping of her phone hadn't woken her but her ceiling fan failing to circle had.  I suggested she to go to the basement, I was going to die in my bed under my comfy covers instead of hanging out with that dead mouse.  After all, it was 4:25 a.m. and the warning was going to last until 5 a.m.  Thirty five minutes is a long time to hang out in a dark, dank basement with a dead mouse.

She went down stairs, looked out the window with her dad until dawn and I lay in bed for hours thinking every noise was a tornado. 

Luckily, the tornado missed us by a couple of miles.

Thanks for reading!  Please join me over at Carole's for today's Three on Thursday link up and if you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends on social media. Until next time, Happy Knitting!


 

7 comments:

  1. Whew....it was one crazy morning with all the warnings. Glad to hear you made it through okay. I was watching your warnings as we sat in the basement watching ours. Ugh. I hate summer storms. Give me a good old snowstorm any day. I spent yesterday dealing with mud, sticks, leaves and mosquito bites. I'd rather have been shoveling snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of excitement for a puddle! I'm glad that the worst you had to deal with was some water and an interrupted night of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are safe and fared no worse. That's a lot of water in the basement though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it's over and you escaped relatively unscathed. Let's hope there aren't any more this season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you fared pretty well during the storm. It sounds like while it wasn't terrible, it was bad enough.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get your decision to wait in bed. Once I was going into a store during a heavy rain (OK) and the police were driving through telling everyone to take shelter there was a tornado spotted south of the town. I waded to the store door looked at all the glass shelves and open span and waded back to my car and drove the ~.25 mile to my apartment. All I could think of was a warm bed (minus wet clothes). As I went up the stairs my downstairs neighbors called out from the basement to ask if I was going to join them. I hesitated a second and then went down to the basement. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all fared much worse than we did on the western side of Florida. I think we got about ten drops of rain and that is it. Sorry it was a mess but glad you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete