Thursday, August 20, 2020

Three on Thursday

 I don't think there's an actual link up going on today, but that doesn't mean I can't still post three random things on a Thursday.

I accidentally bought a new knitting book the other day.  I don't feel too terribly guilty about it because I plan to knit that sweater on the cover.  I bought some yarn last week for a colorwork sweater without having a pattern in mind.  Now I have a plan.  I just have to finish the mohair sweater first.

Gregoire Welty, missing from James City County 

We had a little excitement around here the other day.  You know how the news always picks THE most redneck, derelict, uneducated people to interview?  They chose well the other day.

It was the day I had that nauseous blurry vision headache and I'd been laying down, bra-less of course, and without hair clips or pony tails so when the doorbell sounded and I jumped up, I looked like some kind of crazed psycho-killer witch haired woman.  And first, you have to understand how exciting it is for our doorbell to ring.  It's only the second time in over nine months that someone has rung it.  We are country people.  Everyone comes to our back door.  Even the Jehovah Witnesses come to our back door.

So the doorbell rang, I jumped up and saw the Channel 6 news vehicle out front.  Cool!  I went to the door, still bra-less and still looking like a psycho-killer with wild witch hair and probably with pillow marks on my face... and couldn't get the door open.  The lock is approximately 100 years old, literally, and we've been having trouble with it lately.  Well, it refused to open.  So the news guy and I are yelling through the glass door at each other.  And Sarah comes along with a sarcastic comment about how I don't know how to open the door... and of course she was wearing some weird, even by stay at home covid standards, weird outfit.  But she couldn't open it either.  And Mike comes along, in his underwear because he'd injured his knee at work and he'd been laying down icing it and well, I don't know why he was in his underwear, but he was.  He struggled with the door and after a few very loud and very vulgar curse words, got it open.

So there we are, me bra-less and crazy haired, Sarah in a weird covid outfit and Mike cursing in his underwear, talking to the news guy.  Apparently a man from the next county over had gone missing and his car was found only a 100-ish yards from our house.  The news guy was wondering if we knew anything.  We didn't.  But it was quite exciting to report that.  

You know you are living the covid life when not knowing about a missing guy's abandoned car is exciting and a major conversation piece at the next three meals.

If you are interested, here's the most recent Channel 6 news article.

In an attempt to beat the excitement of someone ringing our doorbell, this guy dropped in for a visit.  I don't know what he is but he's fearless.  He's eating a wasp!  I'm not sure if that makes him my best friend or my worst nightmare.  I definitely don't want to tangle with a bug that has a cicada head, a dragon fly body and eats wasps.  And not only is he eating the wasp, he carried the wasp to that location.

It's been a very exciting week!


10 comments:

  1. You had me in tears laughing!
    On a serious note, I've been listening to way too many true crime podcasts in my small little Covid world. I would be freaking out to know that guy's car was so close. I have managed to convince myself serial killers are everywhere. The Mister thinks I've gone batty but I've been insisting on keeping our doors locked during the day. Something we never used to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently he was in the middle of a nasty divorce. I imagine he either ran away or the wife disappeared him. Pretty sad either way.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you at least got a little comic relief this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - you are too, too funny. I can just picture you all struggling with the door.

    That will be a gorgeous sweater - what colors are you going to use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine what the newsguy thought. LOL. The sweater will be gray with gold color work. Doesn't sound great but I love the way the colors I picked look together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SURE the news guy has seen crazier. I guess you're glad it wasn't a video interview, although for us bored out of our Covid-isolation minds, that could have been a welcome diversion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave me a much-needed laugh!
    That is excitement, though. A few years ago, a murderer killed himself a block away from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Debra's comment and thought that is exactly what I wanted to say. Oh my gosh, I haven't laughed that hard in, well, I don't know how long. A long time anyway!
    And, I've been watching too much Justice Network shows since we don't have cable here. I'm sure everyone I see is a serial killer.
    You need to write a book. A modern day Erma Bombeck for sure!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!! I am dying laughing here!!! You live such an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete