Friday, March 13, 2020

I've never been good at math

Knitters, bakers and mathematicians world wide know what tomorrow is - Pi Day.  Every year I say I'm going to cast on a Pi shawl and most years I'm able to ignore the urge.  The years I do cast one on, I'm cussing myself a few months into the project.  Have you ever knit a pi shawl?  They are so fun and quick to knit the first 4,000 rounds, but those last 20,000 rounds take FOREVER!

This year, I'm proud and excited to announce I did not have the urge.  Well, not a big urge.  It was just a teeny, tiny, "I should knit a Pi something for a blog post" urge.  So I knit a Pi dish cloth.

pi shawl dish cloth knit with Dishie from Knit Picks https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1435395&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=
Pi fail

Or at least, I tried to.  I think I screwed up my math because it turned out to be shaped like a VERY wide brimmed sombrero for Barbie.  Oh well.  It will still scrub the dishes just fine.  And, it's green so it counts as my St. Patrick's Day knit.

If you're curious, the yarn is Dishie from Knit Picks in the Caterpillar colorway.  I used US 5 needles and cast on three stitches.  I think for a Pi, I needed four, maybe.  Really, I don't understand why it didn't work.  With the math of pi, it should have worked.  I knit a row, increased a row.  Knit 2 rows, increased a row.  Knit four rows, increased a row....  It should have worked.  But then, I've never been good at math.

Happy Friday 13th and wishing you a pie filled Pi Day tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. Even if it didn't turn out as you wanted, it's still a cheerful color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to bake a pie tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty yarn and yay for Pi day tomorrow! my nephew's birthday is tomorrow and he is lucky to have a memorable day. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have knit two pi shawls and you are right about how big they get. I loved knitting the first one I did by Elizabeth Zimmerman but that second lacy one made me nuts. As pretty as they are they are not very practical to wear. I did take the lacy yellow one I made to Son's wedding but I only held onto it. They do make a good conversation piece if you want to show off your knitting skills. Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten all about Pi Day. I need to make one (or buy one if I get too busy with knitting or something). I like your Pi Dishcloth - I may need to try and make one and the color is wonderful! Something like that can make dish washing less of a chore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even attempted a Pi shawl because it all seemed so daunting to me. The yarn for your dishcloth is so cheerful and the dishes won't care if it's not perfectly Pi. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, I was hoping someone smarter than us would've commented about how to make the Pi math work! Have a great PiDay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you double your count each time? Cause that really doesn't work. But as you say, it will scrub dishes just fine! I was hoping there was a baby announcement today!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh fuf. You did fine ! It will wash a dish! Success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Pi Day to you too and I see from Instagram you have a little EXTRA to celebrate this year.

    ReplyDelete