Tuesday, March 24, 2020

How you doing?


So, how are you doing?  I've got to admit, this whole COVID-19 thing is starting to get to me.  As introverted as I am, thirteen days without a break from my family duties or a visit with a friendly face is pushing my limits.  

The news just continues to get worse.  As of yesterday, my state has 254 cases and seven deaths.  The Governor closed certain businesses, one being my son's (so the new dad is now out of work for a minimum of 30 days,) and the public schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year.  I'm not even embarrassed to admit that I shed a tear when I received back to back emails saying that (1) my LYS is basically shutting down and will only be open by appointment only and (2) Knit Picks, my favorite online yarn dealer, will no longer be shipping orders as of last night.

The reality is, I have enough yarn stashed (and maybe an order or two out there on a truck somewhere) that at least three of you could come over and all four of us could knit 24/7 for the rest of our lives and probably not use up all the yarn.  But that's not the point.  The point is, I no longer have a yarn on demand source.  No internet, no meat, no paper towels (we did find toilet paper!) and now no yarn.  I think I'm gonna die!

As for the toilet paper situation, we scored a pack!  Actually, my daughter did.  She was on spring break and drove 132 miles to visit a friend who now lives in an even more remote location than us.  While visiting, they went to the grocery store and, yowza!  Toilet paper!!  Twelve whole rolls worth!  It's party time over here now!

So, in an attempt not to commit harakiri out of boredom/stress/loneliness/too much family time, I've of course been knitting.

Top down ragland knit with Cascade 220 Wave from Center of the Yarniverse
Wave Ragland Sweater

I finished the Cascade 220 Wave top-down ragland sweater.  It's a pretty big sweater and start to finish, it took me 20 days.

Top down ragland child's sweater knit with Colorburst from Universal Yarn
Colorburst Ragland Sweater

Next, a miniature top-down ragland for Hayden to wear in a few years.  Per the calendar, that one took me four days but in reality, it was two days and about three hours.

Hitchhiker shawl knit with Special Reserve Stroll Gradient Tweed from Knit Picks https://shrsl.com/26ix9
Petal Hitchhiker

And yesterday I started another Hitchhiker.  I'm a bad Grandma!  I'd bought this Special Reserve Stroll Gradient Tweed from Knit Picks with the intention of knitting Hayden a little dress but....  I'm not normally a big fan of pink but this is really more of a coral and faded bricks color. Knit Picks calls it Petal.  Whatever color you call it, I love it! 

Oh, we did have a bit of excitement today.  I think I've mentioned before that our house is beside the railroad tracks.  Well, the railroad folk have been repairing the tracks and replacing the ties.


They had a huge, giant pile of the old ties stacked up.  And for the past few days, tractor trailers have been driving down our road, picking up loads of them to carry away.


Our road is pretty narrow with our yard and mailbox on one side and the swamp on the other.  Well, today, the railroad people didn't time things too well and two tractor trailers had to pass each other.  It was quite exciting watching them try not to damage our yard or drive into the swamp.  Of course, I didn't think to take a photo until the excitement was over.

Well, that's all the news I have.  I'm going to try to keep to my normal blog posting routine but if things get spotty here, it's due to the lack of internet.  We have a couple of jetpacks that we use for email and light duty internet but for the bigger stuff, or anything that streams, we've always gone to the library or Dunkin Donuts to use their free wifi.  But now with everything closed....  We managed to use a whole month's worth of data on one of the packs in less than three days so....  Things may get pretty hairy around here.  

So... In the infamous words of Elizabeth Zimmerman, "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises."



14 comments:

  1. I just found that E. Zimmerman book in my bookcase! Had forgotten I had it. Love the sweaters you've made - so pretty and cheerful. I got that e-mail from KnitPicks too. Bummer. But, like you, I certainly have sufficient yarn to keep me busy. But I like having options and now I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both sweaters! The big one is in my favorite colors and the little one will look so good on a cute little girl.
    It's a weird world, isn't it? But at least now you know you were right about building a giant stash. That wasn't hoarding, it was just being prepared ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sweaters! With everything shutting down, I am very glad I have a well-curated stash. I don't think I'll be at home long enough to use it all -- or at least I hope I won't be! -- but it's nice to at least be able to shop my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you and Vera hit on the whole thing. It's not that we NEED anything, it's that we just can't get anything when we want and we are very used to that.

    As I told Steve....I didn't get to 64 to STILL be told what I can do. I WANNA DO WHAT I WANNA DO! ;-) But, I'm not. I'm being good and staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turns out, this is a good time to distinguish what we need . . . from what we want. That's never a fun or easy lesson. But we're all learning it together! Hang in there -- and just keep knitting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear from you!! Kym I agree what do we need? what do we want/ You are doing great. IF you don't feel great in this crises which is part mental toughness, thats OK. We are here for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was good to see your post today. Both sweaters are gorgeous and made so quickly. I did that with a sweater for my Hubby last month. I was stressing about this dreaded Virus in China because our son lives in that part of the world, (Japan). I knit to relieve my stress. When I recieved the Knit Picks email the same time as learning our local yarn shop is having to close completely, I almost panicked. Like you, I could never buy another skein of yarn and still have plenty but it just seems so WRONG!
    Our entire state went on lockdown last night. School have been closed for 2 weeks already along with restaurants and some business. But now everything is closed except essential business. And you can't go anywhere except one form of exercise outside per day. Scary times we're living in.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. More restrictions were put in place here yesterday, things seem to change on a day to day basis at the moment. It's a good job we've built up our stash, it doesn't seem quite so greedy now having so much yarn, it's turned out to be a necessity to see us through these uncertain times. The sweaters look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re your lack of internet due to your library being closed - Check with your library to see if their internet is still available 24/7. My library sent out an e-mail giving password and advising patrons that the internet would be available 24/7 and just come to the library parking lot and access while in your vehicle. Might be an option for you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read Shirley's comment - same might be true in the coffee shop parking lot! anyway, sending all the good thoughts your way. I shuffled around my yarn this afternoon and I definitely have enough to fill at least a year. We'll get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sweaters. Hang in there. I am still working every day. They are long days too. By the time I get home I just crash. Haven't picked up my knitting since a Sunday virtual knitting session.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep thinking about doing a hitchhiker (did one years ago), but as I have 3(?) projects going...maybe hold off, unless I start climbing the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sorry about your son's job, that is quite distressing. Our stores now have TP but there was no chicken to be found. I find it fascinating on what is fully stocked and what is not. Strange times. I have so much yarn I could knit for years but knowing i can't shop for yarn makes me want to shop for yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our Governor just killed several business by demand shut downs of non-essentials. I get this virus is scary, but why are we not isolating the hot spots, looking at you NYC, and Seattle, and let the rest of the country demand the at risk ages, and the family members who have contact with them, be isolated? I just pray for Florida now that NY and NJersey people are headed there. Wonder if they will heed Florida's warning for them to self isolate?

    ReplyDelete