Thursday, January 9, 2020

Three on Thursday - Boot Cuffs

It's Three on Thursday and I feel like I'm repeating myself.  Sorry.  But, last Thursday's post had me talking about some yarn I wanted to turn into boot cuffs... And that sent me off in search of patterns...  And I've been obsessed ever since.  It's killing me to continue working on my Need To Finish knits instead of tossing them into the corner and casting on boot cuffs.  Honestly, probably the only reason I haven't given in to that desire is my inability to choose which pattern to knit first.  

Okay, okay.  Honestly, I'll most likely knit a simple ribbed pair of cuffs first, just to make sure I know how fat my calves really are and to get an idea of how much ease/negative ease I need.  But the second pair of cuffs.....

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cabled-boot-topper
Cabled Boot Topper by Anna Templer
I really like these.  I've been wanting to do something cabled for a while now but don't have the patience for a cabled sweater.  These boot toppers might be just the trick.  I also think I have the perfect yarn for them.  And, oh look!  The pattern is free on Ravelry.


https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/entangled-boot-cuffs
Entangled Boot Cuffs from Melissa Burke
Or maybe these.  The cabling looks like it might be slightly easier and I'm all about ease these days.  Plus, I just learned the Norwegian purl stitch and these would give me plenty of opportunity to practice.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/estonian-rib-boot-toppers
Estonian Rib Boot Toppers
But then, I have lots of bits of leftover sock yarn that I think would work well for these Estonian Ribbed Boot Toppers.  And the pattern, from Gail Tanquary is also free on Ravelry.  I really like the way the striped yarn works with the slanted ribbing.  When I first saw these, I thought they were entrelac.

Aack!  I can't decide.  What do y'all think?

Join me over at Carole's for today's Three on Thursday link up.

11 comments:

  1. Can't help you decide. I love all three of them! I think I want to knit the first one as a headband. Love those cables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all look like fun! I'm partial to the Entangled Boot Cuffs; I don't know that the cabling is easier, but the crosses are less frequent, which means that the fabric will have more stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like the Entangled Boot Cuffs the best. Can't wait to see what you decide to knit first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're all great designs, so you can't go wrong. But I like the Entangled Boot Cuffs best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live that first set but they are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that was entrelac too! They are definitely going in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these are really nice - thanks for the links! I knit boot cuffs a number of years ago...wore them a couple of times with tights, low boots and skirts, but I haven't used them since. I need to re-think that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both #1 & #2....if I HAD to make a choice, I think I'd go with the first...but maybe that's just because I saw it first and it imprinted really hard! I love cables, and I love doing them--how they LOOK so much harder than they ARE (which is why it took me eons to start them, and I did so with a cowl...). Good luck! The deciding is WAY harder than the knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you have sent me off into a boot cuff quest. I've printed out the patterns for the two you've provided us and oh my! There are lots more! I don't know whether to thank you or not. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm preferring Entangled--but overall, I have to say I never even think of boot toppers as something to knit --and I love the look. Sort of like mini-legwarmers. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete