Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Baby Things

I wanted to thank all of you who commented on the other day's post or emailed me regarding my panic about knitting The Big Baby Thing.  So many of you offered kind reminders that knitting happens at its own pace and that trying to force it to happen quicker can be damaging to both me and the project.  And for that I am thankful.

I had already come to terms with the fact that The Big Baby Thing would be tossed into a gift bag moments before entering the baby shower, that I'd ask the mom-to-be to open my gift first, then I'd quickly snatch it back from her and spend the rest of the party knitting on it. I was okay with that.  If the mom-to-be is going to be part of our family, she better get used to that type of behavior from me.

photo shows curvature of the earth. Sun setting on trees and tops are lit and bottoms are in darkness
random photo of the sun setting on the trees 

But, my real concern is, the baby may be here much sooner than expected.  Nothing to be overly concerned about, the doctors simply adjusted the baby's due date by multiple weeks.  Multiple weeks!  Doesn't the doctor know how important something like that is to a knitting grandma?  I mean, come on!  I've got a knitting schedule!  A one week adjustment is one thing, but weeks, with an "S" ...  Yikes!

But, whenever she arrives, the baby will need a Big Baby Thing and dag gone it if this first time grandma is going to be late with baby's Big Baby Thing.  

But, and here's where I'm extra thankful for all the suggestions to let the Big Baby Thing be late and perhaps knit a small baby thing instead...

Knit Picks Stroll fingering  https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1435419&u=1446317&m=59159&urllink=&afftrack=
Mint Green Stroll Small Baby Thing

You all reminded me of an important small baby thing that I'd planned to knit and had completely forgotten about.  Needless to say, it's on the needles now.  In fact, it's almost off the needles!  


And I promise it isn't dirty dishwater colored in real life.  In real life, it's standard, genderless, mint green. Mint Stroll from Knit Picks to be exact.  I'm holding two strands together to make the knitting go faster.  I'm pretty stoked about this design.  I'm making it up as I go and so far, it's working as planned.  Knock on wood!  Anyway, I'll be able to tell you more about it next week. 

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you haven't let panic overtake you and are working on something smaller. The baby will appreciate the Big Thing but won't know if it's not done as soon as she arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of the panic I was in to finish Daughter's wedding shawl. I worked day and night on it. You know where it is? In a plastic box in my closet. She opened it the day of the shower and since no one was a knitter it got no reaction to all its lovely laciness. She took it to the wedding and we had our photos taken with it and then I rescued it from the mess of the bridal cottage and brought it here to live. No one even noticed it was missing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for small baby things! Can't wait to see what you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having multiple things will be perfect, even if they aren't all finished in time. The baby will need handknits for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the panic is "mostly" gone. Now you can enjoy the knit again and we'll look forward to seeing it done. Thank goodness for small baby things. I make a LOT of those.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were able to let go of the big baby thing and focus on the small baby thing! Best of wishes to momma and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation - you have a few weeks to adjust - one of my granddaugthers arrived when we got a call to come to the emergency room - no fore warning - yep tada - its a baby - so you got this my friend - excited for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, and now there are more wise comments! My experience has been that babies actually need very little and having ANYthing to gift at the shower is a good thing. Love that green!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can do it!!! Now you have a moved up deadline :) No biggie, ha ha ha. How exciting that you don't have to wait as long. Wishing the new mom to be (and dad to be) a healthy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As long as that baby is healthy!!!! and momma too! The blanket can wait a week or two. Baby will be having those drippy yellow new baby poops that stain everything until then....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Babies need love and to be fed and kept clean. They will also enjoy blankets made by Grandmother's for years. Keep on keeping on and you will finish the blanket in good time - whenever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete