Friday, October 18, 2019

Who needs Rhinebeck?

Who needs Rhinebeck?  I don't!  I have the newly expanded Center of the Yarniverse.

Knit Night at the newly expanded Center of the Yarniverse, Ashland, VA
too excited to hold the camera still

On Tuesday my LYS moved from a teeny-tiny, little shop to a huge, gigantic, yarn filled place across the road.  The new place has got to be at least five times larger and it's fantastic!  Fantastic!!  I didn't get a chance to stop by on opening day (damn moving boxes that refuse to pack themselves!) but I did attend the Wednesday night knitting group.

I was way too excited about the newly expanded shop and all the new yarns they are now able to stock to take decent photos.  The only one I took that wasn't blurry was of Stacy, the shop owner, shoving food into her mouth and I'd promised her I wouldn't use that one.  :)  

And yes, we get to eat at Knit Night.  That dark doorway in the background leads into Ashland Coffee and Tea.  So now, you can buy some yarn and go hang out in the coffee shop or, you can buy coffee and come hang out in the yarn shop.  Center of the Yarniverse now has multiple seating areas where you can sit and knit the day or night away.  And if you check out the coffee shop's website, the stage where the band is playing is now the classroom area of Center of the Yarniverse.

Oh, and did I mention that now that the Wednesday night knitting group meets in the yarn shop instead of the coffee shop, the yarn shop is open for business an extra two hours which means more shopping potential.  Yay!!

See?  Who needs Rhinebeck?  I sure don't!

https://www.jgknits.com/2019/10/three-on-thursday.html
packing boxes and the Martha shawl
Yes, it suddenly got cold enough to break out my fake Uggs!

As for my knitting, I finished the baby blanket and promptly tossed it in a moving box instead of photographing it.

Next, I picked up the Martha shawl and knit a few rows between packing boxes.  My entire life revolves around packing boxes, giant dust bunnies and piles and piles of stuff.  There are piles of stuff to take to my mother-in-law's house (where we're moving.  Have I mentioned that??) piles to go to storage, piles to donate and piles that are trash.  Of course, we ran out of trash bags in the middle of the process.  And soon-to-be-excommunicated-family-members-if-they-don't-stop-it keep putting things in the wrong piles.  It's driving me completely insane.  And my husband, who HATES to shop, has spent multiple days tire and clothes shopping rather than packing.  The situation would be pretty darned comical if the movers weren't due to arrive in a few days.

Speaking of comical....

A church cookbook
Episcopal Chicken
A church cookbook titled Episcopal Chicken.  I have no recollection of putting it there, but it was on my cookbook shelf.  And I think it's hilarious.  I don't know, maybe it's the cardboard and packing tape fumes getting to me, but I find the title laugh out loud funny.  

So, have you picked up on the fact that we are moving next week and the additional fact that we are totally unprepared?  Yeah.  The only way I'm going to get prepared is to sign off from the blog for a few days, maybe even a week or two.  I really, really need to get some packing done.  I'll be back once we've moved and I've unpacked the important things like my toothbrush and my knitting.

And speaking of knitting, I think I'll go knit a row or two.  I have high hopes that today is the day the boxes pack themselves.

14 comments:

  1. I LOL-ed at Episcopal Chicken too. I envision an entire series--Catholic Chicken. Mormon Chicken. Congregationalist Chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope today is that day for you. ;-)
    Moving is stressful. Good luck and see you on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great LYS!!! I wish I had one nearby.
    Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sending all the GOOD packing/moving vibes! I hope you're not going to have to find a new LYS when you move? because that one looks pretty awesome! as does that cookbook (there's a recipe in my family called Presbyterian Chicken ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um Episcopal Chicken is hysterical. I need rhinebeck. Every year I want to go. I love to see the Sweater podcast from Rhinebeck each year. I love when the knitter says its her first sweater and it is this impossible thing that she knit to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Center of the Yarniverse and are excited about the coffee-yarn proximity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your packing starts to feel more under control and less stressful! Good luck with all of it and check in with us when you can, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moving! Yikes that is a lot of work. Good luck with the packing and discarding. And that yarn shop looks wonderful. Enjoy every minute you can be there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for bigger spaces to knit - boo to packing a house - yay for religious chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck to you with the packing and the move. Such a huge undertaking! Soon you'll be back to blogging . . . and knitting, I'm sure. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on the move. No matter how you slice it, moving is a pain. The good news is eventually either before or after you get rid of some excess stuff. Great knitting space and the connection with the coffee shop couldn't be better. Hang on to your needles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know that chicken had a denomination!

    Moving is possibly the most stressful thing ever, but I have confidence that you'll get it all done. And then it will be over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete