Friday, October 11, 2019

Kale Hat

Things are about to become very brief around here.  I've officially entered panic mode.

I mentioned we were selling our house, right?  Well, the people buying ours sold theirs so it's on now.  It's official.  We have to move.  In two weeks and a couple of days.  Aack!  We're moving in two weeks and couple of days. 

And worse than 'we're moving' is that we're moving in with my mother-in-law.  She's getting on up there in age and needs some help.  

Our ultimate goal is to eventually build a house on tidal water, with cash, and live debt free for the rest of our lives.  Our living with the MIL will not only help her, but it will help us reach our goal sooner.  It's a win/win.

The problem with this win/win plan is, how do I pack?  What do I pack?  We don't need to take anything with us except our tooth brushes, clothes and yarn.  What do we do with the rest of our stuff?  We don't know how long we'll be living with the MIL.  It could be three weeks or three years.  How do I pack for that??   I'm so undecided, I'm totally frozen.

So, instead of packing, I cast on a new hat.

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/jeanniegrayknits/kale-hat
Hat knit with Kale from Unplanned Peacock

It's the Kale Unplanned Peacock yarn I bought at the fiber festival last weekend.  On US #8 needles,  it's knitting up super fast which is nice.  I really should be focusing on knitting the baby blanket and the Martha shawl but I needed a break from all that garter stitch.  Somehow, stockinette in the round seems so much better.

And now, I should probably go pack a box.  


13 comments:

  1. Don't forget to breathe! Moving is definitely stressful, but it will get done and you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What big life change! It sounds like a good plan. I wish we had done that with my dad. Right now I would have a big beautiful house on the water and he wouldn't have had to go in a nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine she'll end up in a nursing home eventually but we hope to prolong it as long as possible.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is a major change. As SJ said, remember to breath. What will be, will be and things will get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else, the panic is helping me get over my hoarding tendencies. I'm tossing things I never ever thought I'd get rid of.

      Delete
  4. Moving is very stressful. Keep knitting ! How nice that MIL can take you in!!!! Hope that goes really well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I can hear your sarcasm. Or maybe that's my sarcasm I'm hearing. I keep repeating to myself, "It will be fine. It will be fine..." ... And it will. It will be fine.

      Delete
  5. golly that sounds crazy! Can you put your stuff in storage? Definitely pack all the YARN with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The storage issue is the problem. Since we have no idea how long we'll be there, we're having a hard time packing. We don't want to pay to store less than perfect frying pans, linens, and general 'stuff' for years, but we don't want to have to replace it all in 3 weeks. But no matter what, the yarn stays with me! :)

      Delete
  6. OMG! LOLOLOLOLOL!!! You do realize that St st IS garter stitch, just in the round? Bwahahahahahaha!!!! Good luck with the decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL There's a big difference when you're lazy. With stockinette in the round, you don't have to keep flipping the fabric/needles back & forth. :)

      Delete
  7. So instead of packing I cast on a new hat . . . best blog line ever!

    ReplyDelete