Friday, August 30, 2019

#gaugematters

Well, I'm shaking my head over my Newborn Vertebrae cardigan.

I should have checked my knitting gauge!
Newborn Vertebrae Cardigan

I'm going to have to find a very fat teddy bear to wear this little sweater, because it ain't so little.  Unless the newborn is dinosaur sized there's no way it would come close to fitting a human.  It just goes to show you how much gauge matters.  Betsy, a fellow knitter showed me hers, and hers is literally half the width of mine.  She's a tight knitter and used a US 4 needle and I'm a loose knitter and used a US 3.

Oh well,  I'm going to go ahead and finish it since all I have left is the tiny (yeah, right!) sleeves and the ribbed edging.  It will be good practice because I hear picking up the stitches for the edging can be tricky.  Plus, I'm sure I can find some kind of short, fat stuffed critter that it will fit.

And yes.  Yes, I am bundled up in a fleece blanket with Christmas designs on it.  It's hot outside but it is Freezing in our house today.

16 comments:

  1. Well, the good thing about knitting a baby sweater that ends up being too big . . . is that babies grow! It'll fit eventually. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking exactly what Kym wrote. It will be a beautiful sweater even if a little too big initially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried that due to the design of the sweater, it's not going to work for a larger baby. It's designed to cover the baby's back while baby and mamma are skin to skin. We'll see. :)

      Delete
  3. I never have any luck making things fit. It's always hit or miss. I can swatch until the cows come home and it's still a mess. Wool lies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NO WORRIES. Babies have big tum tums and they wear three things under those sweaters anyhow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will fit one day babies grow and they are born in all sizes. Love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, and I am a little worried. The mamma is a tiny little thing and both my kids were 10+ lb babies. I hope birth weight is not hereditary. ...Although, this sweater might fit if.... :)

      Delete
  6. Babies grow so quickly I am sure it will be loved by someone. It is a gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rats but as others have written babies do grow and eventually it will fit. Pretty color too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The yarn is Hawthorne's Poseidon and it's one of my favorites.

      Delete
  8. It's disappointing when things don't turn out quite as expected. I must admit that I'm rather naughty when it comes to gauge, I tend to wing it and hope for the best. Babies grow so quickly though so I'm sure it won't be long until the baby fills it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Terrible about checking gauge. It's one reason I love to knit shawls - gauge rarely matters.

      Delete