Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Cascade Heritage Wave Hat

Wow!  This post is way over due.  WAY, way over due!

Cascade Heritage Wave Hat

I finished this hat back in the middle of July.  I immediately got a bad case of startitis, then got so excited about a few of those newer projects that I forgot all about the hat.

Cascade Heritage Wave Hat

I didn't follow a formal pattern.  It was one of those 'cast on enough stitches that I can just barely knit comfortably in the round' then knit, knit, knit.  I did create a very short hemmed brim.  It's weirdly short, just barely an inch, because I was worried about running out of yarn.  I'm not worried about it's weirdness because the hat is for me and I'm okay with weird.  I also had plenty of yarn.  Actually, there was so much yarn left from the skein that I'm thinking of knitting matching fingerless mitts. 

Or maybe a little baby sweater.  Only time will tell.

The hat is knit from Cascade Heritage Wave on US2 needles.  If I was to knit it again, I'd probably use a US1.  The knitted fabric is a little on the light and airy side, but our winters are generally not that cold so I'm okay with it.

I'm also loving that snow white pompom on the very slightly striped gray hat.  The stripes are so subtle they barely show up in the photo.  I was planning to use a black or silver pompom but I'm SO glad I went with the white.  I love this hat so much, I may actually wear it!  

Have I ever mentioned my dislike of wearing hats?  My head is just too big and my hair is too thick and .....  Well, I've just never enjoyed wearing a hat.  But this one....

12 comments:

  1. That turned out great! Love the yarn color and love the white pompom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I expected to see more striping but I'm happy with it.

      Delete
  2. Nice hat! Love the pompom. I'm not a big hat-wearer either (they smash the hair in Not Good ways, y'know?), but it gets cold here in Michigan. So I wears 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never been a hat-wearer but since I love to knit them, I'm trying to learn to tolerate wearing them.

      Delete
  3. How perfect is that pompom? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful!!! I have a black pom pom and I need to knit something up (for me) so I can use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. um that hat is adorable ! I LOVE The pom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! Oh that fine gauge, how did you stand it? But it is perfect. I too wish I could wear hats, head too big, face to round for hats that cover my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it did seem to take forever. I normally knit hats with much heavier yarn but this thinner one is much more suited to our Virginia winters.

      Delete