Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sunday Supper - Spinach Salad

It's that time of year when I want to eat nothing but fresh vegetables straight from the garden.  No matter that most of them haven't even been planted yet, much less are available to eat.  

No matter.  I want fresh vegetables and the thing I'm craving the most right now is spinach salad.  I know, it's a weird thing to crave, but what can I say.  Fresh spinach.... fresh tomatoes....  both hand picked from my imaginary garden....  Yum!

photo courtesy of livescience.com
photo courtesy of livescience.com

I guess I'll just have to settle for store bought vegetables for tonight's Sunday Supper.  I'm also not sure that spinach salad counts as a 'supper' but add a piece of grilled chicken or a nice steak and....  

And I need to stop thinking about steak on the grill because I'll be eating my Sunday Supper at work.  Luckily, spinach salad is portable and thus doable.  What do I include in my spinach salad?  It's pretty basic.  Here goes:

Spinach Salad:

Spinach, washed, dried and nasty stems removed
Tomato, cut into wedges or diced
Cucumber, partially peeled and sliced thinly
Red onion, cut Very thinly, almost shaved.
Feta cheese
Black pepper
Italian dressing

I'm not sure why (I'm a horrible cook and don't know these things) but if you mix the tomato, cucumber, onion and Italian dressing together and let it marinate while you deal with washing and removing all the nasty spinach stems, the whole salad tastes better.

I really, really don't like spinach leaf stems.  Could you tell?

1 comment: