Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Prayer Shawl

My apologies for when this starts to get confusing...

I've started a prayer shawl for a close relative (not my daughter) who's recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer.  She does not want to be identified here but I know that she and her illness will weigh heavily on my mind and will be a big part of my life for the next many months.  I know I will talk about her and/or her illness here and since she doesn't wish to be identified, I'm going to call her Sue.  I've racked my brain and don't think I know anyone named Sue so I don't feel like I'm jinxing anyone by using their name.  If your name happens to be Sue, my apologies for that too.  I wish you nothing but health and happiness.

Anyway, Sue is cold.  Constantly freezing cold.  And as chemo started yesterday, the feeling will only get worse.  So, I'm knitting her a prayer shawl.


The shawl will be a generic half circle design that I'm knitting in garter stitch.  I plan to add in a few lacy, *yo, K2tog* rows occasionally to fancy it up just a teeny tiny bit.  The main goal is for the shawl to be warm and finished quickly.

While the shawl's design is rather generic, the yarn is not.  I'm using Manos Del Uruguay Fino which is a merino/silk blend.  It is Heaven to knit with.  The yarn is incredibly soft and the Delft colorway is fluctuations of violet and periwinkle, occasionally fading to almost while.  In other words, it's not boring to knit with at all.  And I think (hope!) it's Sue's favorite color.  At least she wears it frequently.

As for my reading these days.... Can I call it 'reading' if I'm only on page 5?  This time around, I'm reading an actual book.  A paper version!  Not a virtual book on my Kindle!  It's titled Something in the Water and written by Catherine Steadman.  I may be only on page 5 but I was hooked by page 2.  If the writing keeps up and the story is as chilling as I expect it to be, this book just may knock Jaws off my all time favorite summer/beach read list. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. While the shawl is lovely the need for it is not. I've knit too many prayer shawls myself. Cancer sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh. So sorry to hear about Sue. Sending healing thoughts her way. The prayer shawl will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a special gift for Sue and I hope it will help her through her journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely you are to knit her a pretty blue shawl. That diagnosis is troubling and scary! SO sorry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Sue will love your shawl and it's wonderful you are knitting and thinking of her!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful already! So sorry to hear the reason you're knitting it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessings to "Sue" in her battle with cancer; the shawl will be lovely and every stitch infused with your love and prayers. I look forward to your thoughts on the new book...
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending many good wishes for good health to Sue. The yarn is indeed beautiful, and you are so thoughtful to knit the prayer shawl with love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How thoughtful to knit a prayer shawl for Sue. I'm sure the colors of the lovely yarn and your stitches will comfort her. Sending good thoughts to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lifting up Sue ... and wrapping her in a virtual hug ... until she can feel the real one you're knitting!

    ReplyDelete