Thursday, December 7, 2017

Three on Thursday

Welcome to today's very random Three on Thursday list.

1.  I'm a very happy (and a little sad) to report that we have used up the last of the 57 pounds of apples Sarah and I picked last month.  Good grief, that was a lot of apples!  And out of the 57 pounds, we only threw out four or five of them. 

If the old saying about an apple a day is true, we won't be needing a doctor for the next decade or two.  We've eaten apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie, spiced apples, apples baked with pork roasts, apples baked with chicken, Instant Pot  (no affiliation, just my new obsession) cooked apples and plain raw apples.  I never, ever want to see another apple for as long as I live.... and yet.... I already miss that fresh apple smell the kitchen has had for the last month.

2.  I'm extremely glad to be done with NaBloPoMo and yet.....  That last week of daily posts was wearing me down.  And yet..... I struggled with having excess time on my hands for the first few days of December. Instead of spending my time writing daily blog posts, I spent the first two days watching random videos on Facebook.  There was one about Santa practicing with one reindeer.  I kept waiting for the punchline, but there wasn't one. 

There was the oriental guy who finds a lost dog at Christmas time.... which made me cry. 

There was the one with Nick Faulconer talking about his music career which made me very happy.  I knew Nick's mom back in our Homeschool World days and it's always fun to see one of the kids grow up, follow their dreams and make something of themselves.

And there was a really long video about the possibility that Sasquatches are the reason people frequently go missing in national parks. Once again, I kept waiting for a punchline but nope. It was just a guy rambling on about the unknown. 

Thankfully, I was finally able to tear myself away from silly, pointless Facebook videos.  Now I'm spending my time staring at my calendar, wondering how on earth I'm going to get It all done before Christmas.  Egads!

3.  I've been thinking a lot about my yarn stash.  Cassy at Knit the Hell Out posted recently about organizing her stash.  She mentioned storing her yarn under her bed, which I know lots of knitters do.  But my first reaction to her comment about it was, 'but how do you sneak yarn into the house in the middle of the night without waking your husband?'  (Is that wrong of me?  Should I feel more guilty about sneaking yarn into the house under the cover of darkness??  Perhaps, but that's a whole other blog post.) 

And then my next thought was, how on earth do you fit it all under there?  In order to store my yarn under the bed, I'd have to have an over-sized king sized bed on stilts.  Really, really tall stilts.

And then I thought, no, I could cram it all under the bed if I packed it tightly. Couldn't I?? And then I started looking around at the dressers full of yarn (yes, that's an 's' on the end of dressers.  I have more than one dresser full of yarn.)  And besides the dressers, there's a couple of file cabinets full. And the cedar chest.  Okay, okay - two cedar chests.  And there's a few giant Rubbermaid tubs full.  And there's seven or eight smaller than a tub but bigger than a shoe box storage boxes full.  And let's not forget the giant pile on my desk...  And now that I'm thinking about it, there's also a couple of boxes of abandoned projects that I will never finish but can't bare to frog in the attic.

Okay, it's official.  I'm on a yarn diet.  I am not going to buy any yarn for the entire month of December.  None, I tell you.  None!  Well, none unless I receive gift cards for Christmas.  If I receive gift cards for Christmas, all bets are off.

Please, wish me luck with the yarn diet.  Just typing it has made me start to twitch.

And, just so this post has a photo....

Minnie and Max, our dogs waiting for Santa and trying to behave
Waiting for Santa

Minnie says she sure does miss her partner in crime.... but she's looking forward to not having to share the stocking this year.

Oh, good Lord.  I just had a thought.  I have yarn in the spare freezer too. Good grief!  I am definitely not buying any yarn this month!

Wondering what others' Three on Thursday lists look like?  Visit Carole Knits to find out.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That IS a lot of yarn! :-) And I'll bet you love each and every skein. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I thought I had a lot but in the words of my mom "I got nothing"! There's always that feeling though that there isn't quite enough isn't there? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Looking at the yarn on my desk, the bags hanging on door knobs, in a quilt trunk and then there is the upstairs shelves with plastic bins. Good lord indeed. No more yarn, but if someone were to gift us yarn at Christmas...it would not be rejected! :) Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! It's nice to meet someone else with a yarn problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are far worse things to collect than yarn. I think you are a yarn connoisseur, a collector of fine yarns, now doesn't that sound nice?

    ReplyDelete