Thursday, June 25, 2020

Three on Thursday - Two Skein Shawls

Well, I didn't get stabbed in the jugular.  Thank you all SO much for all the thoughts and prayers regarding my biopsy.  It was completely painless and blood free... because I didn't have it.   I'm not sure I've ever been so frustrated.  During pre-pre-registration they'd used the wrong medical code and told me my cost was going to be $100.  Very doable.  But late Tuesday afternoon they called me for to pre-register (as opposed to the previous pre-pre-registration) and they noticed their error.  My cost was now going to be $1225, which I couldn't put my fingers on immediately.  We'll try again in July.

Now, on to Three on Thursday and knitting...

If I ever finish that sweater I've been working on, I want to start a shawl.  But I can't decide on a pattern.  I love the simplicity of single skein shawls but I'd use up the stash faster if I knit with two.  Plus, I've bought multiple two color sets of yarn with no particular design in mind this year.  I need to get busy knitting something with them.

All three of these patterns are designed by Helen Stewart.  I had something else picked out for option one but then when my next two choices were both Helen Stewart designs, and it being Three on Thursday, I knew I had to stick with the theme.  It wasn't difficult to find a third pattern from this designer.

Two color shawl inspired by The Secret Garden.  Knit with fingering weight yarn.
Maytham Shawl by Helen Stewart
The Maytham shawl is going on my Must Knit list because it's inspired by one of my favorite books, The Secret Garden.  But I'm just not sure it's the pattern I want to knit right now.  But then gardens, summer.... maybe this is the perfect time to knit this shawl.

Two color garter and lace knit shawl inspired by ancient runes.
Rune Shawl by Helen Stewart

Or maybe the Rune Shawl.  This one looks pretty easy and perfect for poolside knitting plus, I have been reading The Celtic Blood series which takes place in Scotland around the year 1000.  The books are full of ancient magic and references to runes.  I feel like this shawl is begging to be knit while I read the last two books in the series.

Summertide Shawl by Helen Stewart
Summertide, the name says it all.  Oh and did I mention my plan is to read Tidelands once I finish the Celtic Blood series?  Summertide... Tidelands... I Had to choose this one.

I hope you'll join me over at Carole's and let me know what you're knitting today.

10 comments:

  1. For crying out loud!!! That's a pretty big error. I still can't believe that in this country people have to delay treatment because of cost. It just doesn't make sense. I remember breaking down in tears at the pharmacy once because a prescription was going to be $300 and I couldn't swing that at the time. I never did get the medicine. Now it's over the counter for a few bucks. There should be a law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl you've chosen is lovely - and perfect for summer. That said . . . your post today breaks my heart. I cannot bear that people in the US must delay important testing and procedures because of health insurance. It is just too much. I will hold you in my heart. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, medical bureaucracy is THE WORST. Sorry about that. I'm sure you're relieved that you didn't get stabbed, but it's still a pain. Getting care you need shouldn't be so hard.

    I do love all these shawls and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, Summertide is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about your procedure. I hope they get it worked out.
    I am a big fan of Helen Stewart. I am starting her newest mystery shawl today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, that is a huge expense. I hope you can get it all sorted out soon. Helen Stewart's shawls are just beautiful - I want to make them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about the test. That is awful.

    I can't wait for October when I go on Medicare. The cost of my insulin will increase over 300%

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's awful that our medical system is so ridiculously broken. Your shawls are all great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry. That is just so wrong. This is an important surgery. It's also why our son and future DIL want us to retire to the UK and live with them. There is just so much wrong with our medical system here.
    On a happier note, I've knit several of Helen Stewarts shawls and her patterns are wonderful and so easy to follow. I like that she gives you a stitch count for each row so you can be sure to be on track. You've chosen some beauties that I haven't made yet.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW. FRUSTRATING. Let's hope for a good resolution for you in July.
    I do love, love the Summertide (and corresponding reading is extra fun...and I think I'd have to bake a little something to correspond...and maybe pour a little something? I do love a theme!).

    ReplyDelete