Thursday, June 11, 2020

Three on Thursday - Single Skeins

If you've been knitting longer than two weeks, it's a safe bet that you have a few single skeins of gorgeous, possibly hand dyed, maybe even hand spun fingering weight yarn hanging out in your stash. They are too pretty to put on your feet so what do you do with them?

You knit shawls of course.

lacy, slip stitch, open weave knit shawl, free pattern.
Copilot by Dominique Trad
Copilot would be a fantastic summer project.  The open mesh design wouldn't feel quite so hot in your lap if you are lucky enough to be knitting pool-side.  That open mesh also means that you could wear it earlier in the fall and later in the spring.  And it doesn't hurt that it's a free pattern.

Simple garter and ribbing shawl or scarf knit with one skein
TGV (High Speed Knitting) by Susan Ashcroft
Or what about TGV from Susan Ashcroft?  I'm planning to knit this pattern with my skein of Riverrun from Cozy Color Works.  Or at least I was.  I just realized that the skein has much more yardage than this pattern calls for.  It's too pretty to waste so I'll probably choose a different yarn.  It's not like I don't have a pile to choose from.

Close to You by Justyna Lorkowska
Everyone at my LYS has knit at least two of these Close to You shawls.  Well, everyone except me.  I still haven't knit one, but it is on my To Knit list.  From listening to my fellow LYS shoppers talk about the pattern, it sounds like it rates up there with the simplicity of a Hitchhiker, which I think we all know by now, I love.  The stitch pattern is supposed to be easy to remember and somewhat meditative.  This is also a free pattern so, Awesome!

Hope you'll join me over at Carole's for today's Three on Thursday gathering.

10 comments:

  1. Great patterns all! I have knit a Close to You shawl and it was a fun and easy knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find a summer shawl pattern. I just realized last night that everything I have is too warm and I really like something on my shoulders when I settle down to watch TV at night when we have the AC on. I barely have the time or will to knit right now so I know it's a fools errand but oh, well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to knit Close to You -- I even know which skein of yarn I want to use! Maybe this is the year I will finally do it (but I'm knitting my Hitchhiker first, darn it!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do love them all and I'm going to go check them out. Thank you ofr telling us about them.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Close To You is a wonderful pattern! I keep meaning to knit another...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great but I think I like Close To You the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of those are great, but I like Close to You the best too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH Copilot. I have yarn just for that type of shawl!!! or cowl!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried the TGV shawl and it wasn't as nice as the photos suggest. Ripped it out and will never try again. I love the Copilot though, will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Close to You is in my library and I really should make it because it is a brilliant design. Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete