Sunday, January 27, 2019

Sunday Supper - Pork Ribs

I've missed my the Sunday Soup posts although if I'm honest, I was feeling a little limited by the 'soup' part.  I've decided that for 2019, Sunday Soup will morph into Sunday Supper.  Supper because I'm just not a Sunday 'dinner' kind of girl.  My husband wishes I was but...  

I grew up eating Rice Krispies for dinner most Sundays because the Redskins were playing and Mom couldn't be bothered to cook for the family when Theismann was on the TV.  We didn't even have Thanksgiving one year because the Skins were playing that afternoon.  

Besides, Sundays are supposed to be a day of rest, right?  Not a day to spend slaving away in the kitchen.  So....  Sunday Supper recipes.  Simple, easy to prepare meals...  So the plan is to share a recipe that I've either tried over the past week or I'm planning to try in the coming week.  

This week's recipe is pork ribs in the Instant Pot.  Although every other meal we've made in the Instant Pot has turned out fine, Mike was skeptical.  Being a manly man, he feels ribs need to be cooked outdoors, by the man of the house.  And with beer/alcohol involved.  We were all pleasantly surprised with the female prepared Instant Pot ribs.  The whole process took less than an hour and the ribs were so tender the meat was falling off the bone.  They were so yummy, I forgot to take photos!  Oops.

Pork Ribs in the Instant Pot

4 pounds of ribs
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs paprika
1 1/2 Tbs chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbs kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
BBQ sauce (bottled or homemade)
1 cup of water

Cut the ribs into 3 or 4 equal-ish in length sections.  

Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl and rub them all over the ribs.

Add water to the Instant Pot then place ribs in, standing on end and leaning against each other, sort of teepee style.  Secure lid and make sure the steam valve is closed. (It's sad that I still have to be reminded of this.)

Cook on Manual, high pressure for 30 minutes.  

Near the end of the 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with tin foil.  

Once the Instant Pot is finished cooking, use Quick Release and place ribs on the baking sheet. Brush both sides of ribs with BBQ sauce and bake 7 minutes on each side.



2 comments:

  1. Your Redskin memories brought back my own. Daddio was a HUGE fan. Our lives were centered around the Skins also. Those Thanksgivings with my parents....wow. Good times. I miss them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my Ninja and sow cook them all day. Much easier than Hubster doing them in the smoker. And they are just as good, even without the smoke flavor.

    ReplyDelete