Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Hats Off!

So, our temperatures dropped suddenly and today's high was in the low 20's and we've experienced a few single digit nights... So you'd think I'd be frantically finishing my nice, warm, heavy sweater.... But no, that would just make way too much sense.  Instead, I've been knitting hats.

In addition to the Chevlace hat I started recently, I've also finished two hats with furry pompoms.

Red knit hat with black and silver faux fur pompom
Firecracker Heather Hat

Have I ever mentioned how much I despise pompoms on hats?  You put the hat on and then you got this ... weird, weighted 'thing' flopping around on top of your head.  They drive me insane.  Completely insane.  But my Etsy shop customers seem to like them and you gotta give the people what they want so... I broke down and ordered a bunch of faux fur pompoms in different colors to sew onto a few of my hats.

red knit hat with black and silver pompom for sale at https://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanniegrayknits
https://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanniegrayknits

I knit this Firecracker Heather Wool of the Andes hat first. I love the color of this yarn, although it looks more like a vine ripened tomato than a firecracker.  It's a glorious orangey-red and I think I need a sweater knit from it.  Whatever.  I topped the hat off with a black with silver tipped faux fur pompom.  The pompom looks like it was made to go with that Firecracker yarn.

I liked the firecracker hat so much, I immediately started another, this time with Onyx Heather Wool of the Andes.  

Hand knit charcoal gray hat with faux fur pompom
Onyx Heather Hat

(Sorry.  Please excuse the creepy serial killer eyes, no make-up, still wearing my pj's at 3 p.m. look.)

I topped this one off with a 'natural' faux fur pompom.  I don't know what it is about this color combination, but I'm in love!  I despise wearing hats (LOVE to knit them, hate to wear them) and I think I've already expressed my hatred of pompoms but...  I just absolutely love this hat and am keeping it for myself.  No Etsy shop for this one!  I even wore it around the house for a while and the pompom didn't wiggle or annoy me at all.  

Now, let's just hope it stays cold for a while so I can actually wear my new hat out of the house sometime.  I might even put on clothes and brush my hair for the occasion.

7 comments:

  1. Those turned out great! I don't think I'm a pom-pom person either. I looked at some faux fur ones at JoAnne's to put on my recent hat finish, but they were very, very ugly!! But, the ones you got look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the natural fur looking pompoms but not the wild colored ones. Maybe in another 5 years I'll have accepted the colors. :)

      Delete
  2. Well done! I prefer hats without pom-poms for the very reasons you stated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I love the colors together with the faux fur. I had no idea they made pom poms out of it.
    No judgement here about the pj's or the hair. I'm on a roll to see how long I can go without using a hairbrush. I hate brushing my hair when it is full of static and I've got a headache. I should have dreads by the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could wear hats without looking goofy! I would wear one with the poofiest poof possible! LOL. Love both of your versions of the "Firecracker".

    ReplyDelete
  5. my friend gave me a pom pom and I need to knit a hat for it! I love your pom pom hats but I have never worn a pom pom on a hat since I was a child!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually end up taking pom-poms OFF (if I put them on in the first place). They do drive me nuts. But it seems that the faux fur ones are lighter, so maybe they wouldn't bug so much? I think your new hat looks great -- serial killer eyes and all! :-)

    ReplyDelete