Monday, January 14, 2019

Lost

I'm lost.

This past Thursday, we said goodbye to Minnie.


She'd been showing her age for a while and we knew our time with her was short but....


Wednesday night, she seemed restless and kept walking up to us with her head hanging low.  She ate her dinner over the course of about 4 hours instead of her normal 30 seconds.


Thursday morning, I woke up and couldn't find her.  She wasn't on her bed beside our bed.  She wasn't on her bed in the hallway.  She wasn't on the upstairs sofa and she wasn't on the down stairs sofa. We have an always-open dog door so I thought maybe she'd gone out and couldn't get back up the steps to come in.  But nope.  Where was she?  I finally found her in a bathroom, laying on the floor, gasping for breath and unable to move or even lift her head.

I called the vet and changed that afternoon's pedicure appointment to a "We're having an emergency and are on the way" appointment.  And less than 45 minutes after arriving at the vet, she was gone.


Minnie was the last of our four legged children and I just don't know what to do with myself.  I feel lost and the house is just way too quiet now.



9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. I am just where you are now. I lost my beloved Birdie Buddy Rosie after 29 years and I am still completely gutted even after almost a month. I am still waiting for the day that I don't spend most of it bursting into tears. The awful quiet is just too sad a reminder. I have to keep the radio going all day for company now.
    Your girl looks like she was such a sweetie. We had a Border Collie named Ned who looked very similar. He was the smartest dog we ever had. We used to joke that he was smarter than any of the kids.
    May her memory be a blessing. Be kind to yourself grieving is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry. My heart breaks for you. XOXO
    When I have lost beloved pets in the past, this quote has brought me comfort. I hope it does the same for you today:

    "God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in Dog Heaven, and when they are tired from running and barking and eating ham-sandwich biscuits, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping. God watches over each one of them. And there are no bad dreams." -- Cynthia Rylant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry to hear this, she looked like a true sweetie! Be happy that her last conscious moments were with those she loved and who loved her. Everyone at our house (furry and otherwise) will say a special prayer tonight. Take care. And God bless Minnie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. Minnie looks like she was such a sweetie. Love the quote that Kym left here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I know the pain and anguish, and ask you simply to hold on to your beautiful Minnie memories. They never leave us, and are always in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss, she looks like was the sweetest dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. What a sweet face and I am sure she was a wonderful part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very sorry for you loss!

    ReplyDelete