Sunday, October 21, 2018

Sunday Soup - Black Bean Chili

Does chili count as soup?  It's eaten out of a bowl so I'm saying yes.
Because today's 'soup' recipe is for chili.  Black bean chili actually.  

I love my recipe because it's fast, simple, and can easily be made more or less spicy.  It's also simple to double or triple the recipe and it freezes well.  Oh, and it still works when I'm out of one ingredient; I simple add more of another.  I've even made it with jarred spaghetti sauce before. In other words, measurements aren't all that important.


black bean chili, photo courtesy of radcutlery.com

Black Bean Chili

2 TBS - 1/4 cup olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz. cans tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
4 oz. can green chilies 
3/4 cup water
1 rounded TBS chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. cinnamon OR cocoa powder
2 16 oz. cans black beans, drained

Heat olive oil in soup/stock pot and add ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic.  Cook until beef has browned.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 15 - 20 minutes.

Best served with cornbread.


4 comments:

  1. I can't do cinnamon and Hubster can't do cumin, so now I am wondering about cocoa instead. I have always thought about adding it, and now I have a reason to try! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why but the cocoa gives it a slightly dark, smokey flavor.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of this chilli soup... and soup is one of my favourite things to eat when the temperature starts to drop for Winter. I don’t eat meat so I would sub that with more black beans, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frequently add more beans instead of more meat when I double the recipe. ....Or I forgot to shop and don't have any ground beef - which is much more likely. :)

      Delete