Monday, May 7, 2018

Makers' Monday

Although you may not be able to tell from the picture, my So Faded sweater is coming along.

Fade sweater knit with Dark Mood Hawthorne yarn from Knit Picks
So Faded

I'm only a few rows from finishing those pesky raglan increases then it's miles and miles of smooth, mindless stockinette.  And really, I should clarify.  The raglan increases aren't pesky.  It's the garter stitch sleeve caps between them that I'm struggling with.

 I keep forgetting to do the purl rows.  If it wasn't for tinking at least a few stitches on every single purl row, I'd be finished by now.  And, I'm going to have to learn how to duplicate stitch a purl stitch.  About 15 or 20 rows back, there are six knit stitches that should be purls.   I was already several rows ahead when I noticed it and at the time I decided nobody would notice.  Okay, I talked myself into the 'nobody will notice' attitude because I was lazy and didn't want to rip back that far.  But it's on the front of the sleeve cap and someone will notice.  But I'm still lazy and don't want to frog it... So I just keep knitting hoping there's a way to duplicate stitch purls.  Or maybe I can knit a flower or some other fun creative thing to pin over the bad spot.  Or maybe it's in a spot that will be mostly tucked under my arm and nobody really will notice.  Or maybe cows will fly.

Whether cows fly or not, I'm going to keep knitting.  I'm 'this' close to starting the next color and I just can not bear to loose the progress I've made.  And I really, really want to see the next color.  If Kerns, my least favorite yarn of the group, turned out to knit up so beautifully, how awesome will the next color be??  The desire to knit with the next color is greater than the distaste of a glaring garter stitch error.

On a side note, has anyone else knit a So Faded sweater?  How on earth are you supposed to know when it's time to change yarns?  How do you know when you've knit to the point that you need to save the rest of the yarn for the sleeves?  There's probably plenty of discussion about it over on Ravelry, but once again, I'm lazy.  I thought I'd just ask instead of spending precious knitting time researching.  And then there's the lazy idea I had to just order more yarn and knit the sleeves in a solid color instead of matching stripes.

10 comments:

  1. It looks lovely -- and I'm betting that no one else would notice those 6 stitches. (And if they do, does it really matter?) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is gorgeous! I, too, bet no one will notice the 6 stitches. Just go for it and enjoy the next color. (BTW, I'm a firm believer in cows flying - lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I just realized, the saying is 'when pigs fly' not cows. Good grief! Oh well. The next color is gorgeous so who cares if it's pigs or cows!

      Delete
  3. I love those colors! It looks like it is going to be so cozy to wear too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a ratio thing, I have seen an estimate that your sleeves will take 30%-35% of your yarn. So knit the body until you have at least 35% of your yarn left. You can probably find an app for that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Math! I just ordered a couple of extra skeins of yarn instead. :)

      Delete
  5. love your yarn with the flecks of color :) That is a sweater that will go with ANYTHING in my wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping it will go with just about everything in mine as well.

      Delete