Monday, March 19, 2018

Makers' Monday

It's Makers' Monday and I'm happy to report that I am feeling Much better!  I have absolutely no stamina and my voice has that raspy sound like I routinely smoke three packs of cigarettes every hour but...  I feel better!  I can smell the Vicks, the scabs on my nose from blowing/wiping it so frequently are healing and I feel good.   Yay!

And because I'm feeling so much better, I had a low-key, weirdly fun weekend.

The fun started on Friday when Sarah and I went to the Southern Women's Show.  After the show, we stopped for a late lunch at Pop's Dogs and Ma's Burgers.

Pop's Dogs and Ma's Burgers

It's one of those local landmark places that I've always been curious about but never visited.  I have absolutely no idea why, but as a teen/young adult, I always thought of the place as being where the perverts hung out.  I pictured the interior as being dark and smokey and full of perverted old men, most likely without pants.  But when we asked Google where we should go eat, Pop's Dogs and Ma's Burgers popped up as an option.  We decided to be brave it and give it a try.

Inside Pop's Dogs and Ma's Burgers. Lots of things to look at.

I'm so glad we did!  The place turned out to be THE quirkiest, weirdest place I've ever eaten.  And I'm a little bit in love with it.  The place (I really can't call it a restaurant.  It only has six seats.) is tiny and every inch is crammed with memorabilia and little oddities to look at and/or play with.

Pop's Dogs and Ma's Burgers

Honestly, I was a little skeptical stepping in but the food was good, the conversation with Ma, Pa and the other patrons was fun and interesting and we had a great time. No perverts in sight and I'll definitely go back again sometime.


Fair isle hat; hat #16 out of 52 being knit in 2018.

Friday night, I started hat #16 in anticipation of a Saturday road trip to celebrate my last free weekend of 2018.  Mike and I planned to drive to Colonial Beach and eat a meal on the water.  Not a big trip, I just needed to see flowing water before I went back to work for the season.

Well, Saturday was cold and a little rainy and Mike didn't want to make the trip.  Fine!  I'd go without him.

Big mistake!  I thought I knew where I was going but doh! I turned onto the wrong road and ended up on a river 137 miles south of Colonial Beach.  Good Lord!  I've always said I could get lost in a phone booth, but ... 137 miles off course!  Good grief!

But it turned out okay.  So what if I didn't see Colonial Beach.  I saw a beach.  I saw flowing water.  I had good music to listen to and my weight in junk food to eat while I drove.  I found my way home eventually and Little Red and I had a fun road trip adventure.

knitting a diagonal striped blanket with scrap sock yarn.

And since I didn't actually make it to Colonial Beach on Saturday, Mike drove me on Sunday.  I got a little bit of car knitting on my diagonal striped blanket done, but mostly I just looked out the window at the passing scenery.

Of course, I drove all that way, on two different days, and never took the first photo of the water.  Oops.

So what did you create over the weekend?


12 comments:

  1. What a fun little diner! So much to look at! Sounds like an exciting weekend for you, all around. (And getting a little lost is kind of fun, non?) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting lost was fun. Shamefully, it was the first time I'd taken the car out for a pure joy ride with no real destination in mind since I got it back in the fall. It was about time!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a fun place to eat! And visiting the beach, no matter which beach, is always great!
    I've been creating hats. Didn't see that one coming, did you? ;-)
    I've also been trying to work out a set up for a bullet journal, but I'm still not sure I'm really going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the concept of bullet journaling but I tend to plan to far in advance and I write loooong lists that I end up having to copy over into the next journal... It's easier for me to use a 3-ring notebook type planner.

      Delete
  3. Your weekend was full of adventure. I wasn't adventurous but I prepared two quilt backs and the binding, finished a sock and started another, and made four doll quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You may not have been adventurous but you were certainly productive! Congrats!

      Delete
  4. Good to know everyone kept their pants on at the hot dog shop.

    What an adventurous weekend you had. I love going to see the flowing water and it doesn't have to be a lot of water ---- I found a picnic table by the Neshaminy Creek and when the temperature is a little bit nicer, I will be taking my lunch and my knitting to watch the water flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I have no idea why I thought they wouldn't be wearing pants. I've always thought that though. :)
      We have a park near us with a small, 8 foot wide 'river' that I like to hike to then sit and read/knit.

      Delete
  5. You gave me a good laugh! 137 miles is an accomplishment -- and totally worth it if you found water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I kept driving, thinking that nothing looked familiar but it had been a few years since I'd made the trip... Oh well. I found water in the end & that's what mattered. :)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love road trips by myself.
    I haven't gotten that lost,
    but I wouldn't have minded.

    Weekend March 9-11, I drove with my daughter-in-law,
    1200+ miles with out a picture.
    Felt silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That was a long road trip! I normally like to know where I am when I'm by myself but this trip didn't bother me at all. Maybe I'm finally growing up. :)

      Delete