Sunday, March 5, 2023

Sunday Supper - Spaghetti Squash Meatball Casserole

So, we're on a diet.  I don't think I've mentioned it before but my A1C levels hit full blown diabetes in early February.  And my doctor, being the meany that he is, is making me 'fix' it with diet rather than pills.  And yes, I know that that's best.  I know if he gave me pills, I'd continue to eat the cake and cookies and just keep taking more and more pills.  

I know this way is best.  In fact, it's already working.  I'm sticking to the diabetic diet and have already lost 7 pounds in 15 days.  But I'm also still seriously jonesing for cookies and cake and I'm mean.  I mean, I am MEAN!  Sugar/carb withdrawl is not for the faint of heart and it doesn't help that I'm working at a grocery store and surrounded by carts full of cookies, cakes and Little Debbie products.  So yeah, I'm a little mean at the moment.  And I'm blaming my poor doctor instead of blaming myself for allowing myself to get to this point.

The point is, Sunday Suppers are about to get slightly more healthy.

photo courtesy of tasteofhome.com

Today's Sunday Supper recipe is for a spaghetti squash meatball casserole from Taste of Home.  The photo makes it look like yummy comfort food.  We will see.

And yes, I realize I'm struggling with a bit of an attitude.  I really don't know why.  I've eaten within my carb limits every day since I started the diabetic diet (15 days ago) and I have enjoyed every single thing I've eaten so far.  I like zucchini 'noodles' and I'm enjoying all the vegetables I've been eating.  I'm actually a little bit proud of myself and the way I've been eating for the last 15 days.  Heck, the diet is even helping my finances.  According to my credit card statement, my grocery bill for February was $190 less than normal.  My body feels better.  I already have more energy and just feel better in general.  Or at least my physical body does.   But mentally, I really do miss plates full of mounded up mashed potatoes and mac and cheese, not to mention all those cookies and cakes.

If any of you are on diabetic diets and have cookbooks or websites you recommend, please send them my way.

3 comments:

  1. I can't really help with the diabetic diet or recipes, but I've been trying to eat more vegetables and less meat/carbs in general. I've discovered that a lot of veggies are really delicious roasted. Our new favorite thing is roasting Brussels sprouts whole (I just spray them with a bit of vegetable oil spray and add a bit of salt and pepper), then tossing them in some balsamic reduction shortly before serving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! The balsamic reduction part sounds delicious. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. I come from a long line of diabetics. I had gestational diabetes with each of my kids. In the back of my brain I am always thinking about carb limits before I stuff anything in my mouth and as you know that's no fun. I pretty much eat anything I want but in small amounts. Very small amounts. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete