Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Off the needles

Today, OTN is standing for off the needles rather than on.

Hand knit prayer shawl

The prayer shawl for Sue is finally finished.  Just in time for her last chemo appointment next week.

Simple garter and lace prayer shawl

After asking for everyone's opinion about the contrasting border color, I went with the white.  I'm So glad I did.  Color-wise, I think it looks great and besides, it looks like waves crashing on the beach.  And since Sue loves the beach....  I think it's perfect.

lace detail on a simple garter stitch prayer shawl

Well, it's obviously not perfect.  There are several 'creative design elements' in the lacy border.  Oh well.  The shawl is not perfect and neither is Sue.  They can be perfectly imperfect together.  At least that's my story of why I didn't bother to rip and fix them.


lace border knit on the outer edge of a simple garter stitch semi circle prayer shawl

Despite the those 'design elements' in the border, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.  I'm also amazed at how much it grew during blocking.  Pre-blocking, the shawl barely went across my shoulders, much less wrapped around me.  Post-blocking...I'm going to have a very, very difficult time handing it over to Sue.

But hand it over, I will.  Sue deserves it.  She has done SO well with her chemo treatments.  She's had none of the horrible side affects you hear about and didn't even loose her hair.  I'm so proud of the way she's held her head up throughout the whole ordeal.  She'll have one more dose of chemo then go for another round of CAT scans to see what the next step is.  The doctor seems confident that she's going to beat it and be considered 'cured.'  Thank you for all your prayers and well wishes.

11 comments:

  1. It is perfect!!! And fast....I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors look wonderful. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news about how well Sue is doing. And, a gorgeous finish - you sure were speedy with this one and it is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shawl -- and great news for Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! and perfect timing for the finish ... lifting y'all up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous gorgeous!!! Your friend will LOVE it!! I love the contrasting yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! And I'm happy that Sue is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful! She will love it. Prayers the news is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue is going to love that shawl it is gorgeous and made with love. Glad she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful shawl. Do you have a pattern for this, M'am? I have a special someone I would like to bless with a special gift and I think my heart just said this was >IT<!

    ReplyDelete