Sunday, September 4, 2022

Sunday Supper - Roasted Patty Pan Squash

 Have you heard of patty pan squash?

photo courtesy of johnnyseeds.com

I hadn't until recently.  I'm sure I've seen them at farm stands in the fall but just thought they were cute little decorative gourds.  Turns out, they are edible, a good source of potassium, low in carbs and have a bit of fiber and protein.

Anyway, the grocery store I work for has been selling them like crazy and I started asking customers what they planned to do with them. And each customer seems to have their own favorite way of cooking them. So far, I think my favorite seems to be baking the squash, mashing them a little and mixing with cooked sausage.  Sausage makes everything taste better.

Despite my preference for sausage, I found this recipe for roasted patty pan squash from delish.com.  It sounds incredibly easy and it's vegetarian for those of you who don't eat meat.  And if meat prices continue to rise like they have been, we may become vegetarian too.  

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love those little things. I used to grow them when I had a garden. You can hardly ever find them at the store. They are like a hybrid of summer and winter squash so you can do a lot with them.

    ReplyDelete