Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Unplanned and Forsaken

Nothing is going as planned at the moment.  Absolutely nothing.

Saturday night I spent a few hours organizing, rearranging, and generally moving stuff around in my room until I finally had everything situated so that I didn't have to get up and dig through 1,000 boxes and/or drawers to find my stapler, or a paper clip, the proper size knitting needle, or the next ball of yarn in line to be used.  Life was good and I was going to spend Sunday being productive at my desk and with the camera.

But...

Sunday morning, I woke up to water pouring all over my desk, computer, my to-do list notebook, the file cabinet, two knitting bags and of course, my old fashioned Roladex (because a wet computer wasn't bad enough...)  Somehow, the window frame had sprung a leak and the rain was pouring in. 

So now, everything that was on that side of the room, everything salvageable that is, is in the middle of the room, the stuff in the middle of the room is encroaching on my bed on the other side of the room and I'm just praying I don't break another toe tripping over everything.

triangular shawl knit with Universal Yarn's Colorburst in Horizon
Colorburst shawl

All of that to say, instead of photographing the hats I finished recently, I threw myself a good pity party, cast on a new shawl and spent the afternoon and evening engrossed in a good book and knitting while dumping the leak bucket every few hours.

I am absolutely loving the shawl.  There's no official pattern, just a triangular shaped piece of fabric forming by increasing on each side and in the center every other row.  A very simple shawl, but the yarn... the yarn is So not simple.  It's gorgeous!  The yarn is Universal Yarn's Colorburst  in the Horizon colorway.  I picked it up at my weekly Sit and Stitch meeting this past week.  (Shhh - don't tell anyone.  I broke my 'no yarn in' rule the very first week.  Yikes!)  The shawl is supposed to be a Christmas gift but... I'm not so sure I'll be able to part with it.  But then.... Maybe I can.  Did you follow the yarn link?  Did you see Earth and Sky?  OMG!  That is SO me!  My LYS wasn't offering that colorway.  I just may have to break the rules again.



The book I had my nose stuck in (Can you have your nose stuck in a book if you're reading on a Kindle?) was Forsaken by J. D. Barker.  Even if I hadn't been throwing myself a pity party and hiding out in my room, I'd have had a hard time putting this one down.  I loved that Stephen King allowed Mr. Barker to borrow a character and a location from one of his own books.  

The whole time I was reading Forsaken, I was wondering if Barker was a pseudonym of Mr. King's.  The writing style wasn't King's but the topic sure was and the familiar location....  Turns out, Mr. King read an early draft and liked the story enough to share according to Google.  Anyway, I loved the book and was quite surprised by the ending.  I did not see that coming!

And now, it's raining again.  I have to go dump my bucket.


14 comments:

  1. Oh no! Hope the rain will stop soon (and the window will be repaired).
    The shawl will be beautiful though and that book sounds like a perfect escape from reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The sun is out today so things are drying out. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh. I'm so sorry about that water problem you had! I really hope things settle down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! That is so depressing. I am glad you got yourself new yarn, a new shawl on the needles and a good book. You deserve it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy about all that too, and I'm really, really happy that my computer still works. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, no. That's just rotten. I hope you get the situation sorted soon. Sending good juju!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The sun is out today, my computer still works and I have a closet full of yarn. I'll be okay. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh geeze...it's like you can't catch a break! Glad the sun is out for you and things are drying out. That new yarn is gorgeous (I did follow the link and I love Aurora!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, good golly.....I'm living in a disaster area myself but that would have put me over the edge.
    I just finished listening to Dr. Sleep. It was my first King book since The Shining when I was just a teen. I really enjoyed it. He can really stretch out a story but I have to say I was sorry when it was over...in 18 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, water pouring over everything is a very nasty surprise! I hope everything that can dry out does quickly, and I think you're entirely justified in casting on something new and pretty to make yourself feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh ugh about your space - but I'm so glad you had good knitting (IMHO "rules" about yarn are just made to be broken) and a great book to put your mind in a better place. sending all the good vibes that things dry out and start looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness, you are having quite the time of it. Let's hope this is the very LAST of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When it rains, it pours! Too soon? Sorry, I shouldn't have said that! LOL. But if you aren't LOLing, I do sincerely apologize and hope things get better!

    ReplyDelete