Thursday, May 23, 2019

Three On Thursday - Memories

I took one of those four hour strolls down memory lane the other night.  Yes, I took the stroll at night.  For once I was all set to go to bed early, at least early for me.  It was one of those perfect moments when I finish knitting a row just as the movie I was watching ended and I began yawning.  All at the same time.

As I always do before bed, I checked the weather for the next day.... and somehow I ended up seeing a Facebook post about 1970's & '80's punk bands.  And I fell down the rabbit hole.  For the next four hours (too bad it wasn't only three,) I recalled my teen years by:

1.  Watching several hours of video on Youtube and slam dancing around my living room.  And yes, I may have been alone but I was moshing and slamming.  Slamming into every piece of furniture we own.  I still have the bruises to prove it. 

photo courtesy of wrirrvamusichistory.tumbler.com

The stroll down punk rock memory lane had me Googling Going Bananas, a Richmond bar known for featuring punk music back in the day.  The bar shut down long, long ago and I couldn't find much about it online but in the process of searching...



James River Raft Race, photo courtesy of richmond.com

2.  I was reminded of the James River Raft Races.  Oh. My. Goodness!  Those things were a blast!  And dangerous!  There's nothing like a gazillion drunk fools, floating down the river on homemade rafts while wearing crazy costumes.  The races did raise money for some worth causes though.


3. I have no idea how looking at images of the James River Raft Races lead me to Chuck Richardson, but they did.  Chuck was an outspoken city council member with a slight heroin problem.  The radio stations loved to poke fun of him and I remember driving to school while Spelling with Chuck played on the radio.


I'm joining Carole and friends for Three on Thursday.

4 comments:

  1. How fun! Youtube can do that to you. We often get into that rabbit hole by watching just one music video. Or worse, watchin a commercial from the old days. Ever tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that on a regular basis. Last night I started with Irish people eating weird food, went on to soap curl crunching, then kinetic soap cutting and ended up with All in the Family clips. At least I didn't find myself buying things I don't need. That's the worst hole to fall down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enough time sucking issues (candy crush you evil game) thank goodness I haven't gone to YouTube yet. Glad you had a fun night...memory lane is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing where a trip down Memory Lane can take you! Sounds like you had a great time! :-)

    ReplyDelete