Friday, May 24, 2019

Overwhelmed and underfed

I'm overwhelmed and underfed.  Or at least I will be underfed.  Let me explain.


At the un-Godly hour of The Sun's Still in the East, Sarah and I set off for the James River Yarn Crawl.  It was a beautiful day for a road trip.

James River Yarn Crawl

We only made it to three out of the six yarn shops, and it's a good thing too!  I bought so much yarn! I'm overwhelmed by it all and I won't be eating, or at least able to buy groceries, for the next six months.


We did manage to stop for lunch before I spent my last penny.

wool and cotton blended gradient yarn from Sublime in the Esme colorway
Esme

I'll share trip details and my purchases with you over the coming days.

Knitting a Hitchhiker scarf with a gradient yarn from Sublime yarns
The start of a new Hitchhiker

Oddly, the first thing I started knitting from the new stash is another Hitchhiker... with my least favorite yarn of all that I purchased.  I've seen several other people knitting Hitchhikers with gradient yarns and I felt the need Need to knit my own.  

Either gradient yarns are falling out of favor or they are more popular than ever because The Center of the Yarniverse was the only shop out of the three that we visited that had any in stock.  I like the colors in this yarn, I mean, what's not to like about greens, blues and grays?  Specially greens, blues and grays that look like old, faded denim.  But it's cotton, and I'm not a fan of knitting with cotton.  Actually, it's 55% wool and 45% cotton.  But that 45% is enough to already have my fingers aching.  I have the feeling that this Hitchhiker is going to be a slow slog of a knitting project.  But the colors - the colors will make it worth the effort.

photo courtesy of lodestoneandladysmantle.blogspot

Meanwhile, I'm off to photograph my new precious yarns.  Just as soon as the spouse leaves for work and I can safely take them out of hiding.


5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that sounds like so much fun! I think it's a good thing we don't have yarn shops around here. I'd blow our entire budget for the house on a trip like this.
    If that's your least favorite yarn, I'm dying to see the rest of it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gollum....too funny!!! That's just how I feel when going through my stash. I can't wait to see what you've bought. Since I didn't get to the MDSW this year I didn't get a chance to feed my stash and it feels sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious yarns -- LOL!

    Interesting about the lack of variegated yarns.

    I'm about to start a third Hitchhiker myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to buy a gradient so I can join in! How nice to do a yarn crawl and the food looks super delicious!

    ReplyDelete