Thursday, September 13, 2018

Three on Thursday and a little bit of guilt

Hurricane Florence is coming, it's Three on Thursday, and I'm feeling just a little bit guilty.  I'll explain why in a moment, but first, let me explain this post.

Although she can't quite make up her mind exactly where she wants to go, it's a given at this point that Florence will be visiting the east coast over the next few days.  I have to admit, I Love hurricanes!  There's something about the anticipation and the wild weather and survival... that just excites me and turns me slightly manic.  But, after surviving Isabel which left us without power for 13 days....  and Gaston which filled our house with ten feet of water...  I'm a little weird about storms.  I'm excited, manic, and freaked out all at the same time.  It's that feeling I imagine you get just before jumping out of an airplane.  That "This is so exciting, it's gonna be Awesome!, oh my gosh, I'm gonna die!" feeling.

And because of that excited freak out, I tend to over prepare.  And the more I over prepare, the less likely it is that the storm will actually hit.  It's happened that way with every storm since.  The more I prepare, the less it rains.  And with kind Mr. Weatherman predicting Florence dumping as much as 30+ inches of rain. (and that's not even considering the wind or the fact that it's already been raining a solid week before her arrival...)  You can bet your sweet behind that I am preparing.  

And that's why I'm feeling a little guilty. 

photo courtesy of alamy.com

1.  As a family, we drink a lot of water.  And we don't drink tap water, we drink bottled.  And it just so happens that on Sunday, everyone in the family individually, without telling anyone else, bought a week's worth of water.  Except I bought two weeks' worth.  While I was putting the normal five gallons into the cart, the nice Walmart lady (it was in the wee hours of the morning when all the Walmart employees are actually nice) commented that I better stock up because they expected to run out by noon the next day and may not be getting more in before the storm.  So I bought extra.  Our house now looks like a water storage warehouse.

Mr. Weatherman announced that Florence had shifted just slightly to the south.  Virginia was still going to get hammered, but we might not die in the storm.

2.  With the news that we might actually survive, I started thinking about drinking warm water for days on end after the storm leaves us with no power for possibly weeks....  So I plugged an old, unused freezer in and proceeded to make ice in every single container I could find.  Plastic travel cups, Tupperware cereal keepers, even mixing bowls became over sized ice trays. Once frozen, I put those chunks of ice in bags and repeated the process.  We now have an upright freezer full of nothing but large ice blocks.  We're ready to keep things cool for a while.

Mr. Weatherman announced that Florence had shifted even more to the south.

3.  So I made multiple pots of coffee and put them in the freezer, just in case.

And Mr. Weatherman announced that Florence was taking not only a more southerly route, but that she was also going to take a sharp left turn once she hit land.  

All I can say is,  I am SO sorry!  I feel like because of my over-preparing actions, I have single handedly wiped North Carolina and possibly South Carolina off the map.

Where ever she lands, I pray that you all stay safe and relatively dry.  Godspeed.


14 comments:

  1. Preparation is a good thing. I hope that folks in the Carolinas are equally prepared!
    Best wishes to you as you hunker down for the storm. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! We had SO much more time to prepare than they did.

      Delete
  2. We have family in NC and VA, neither are leaving, but the NC ones have us more worried as they are 20 miles from the ocean. The VA families are ON the ocean! Prayers appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely praying for the NC (and SC) folk. Coastal VA is having a little flooding, but nothing spectacular like the Carolinas.

      Delete
  3. Well, you are prepared now for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes - there are a few more out there, swirling around in the ocean.

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan for hurricanes but when there is a blizzard well that is fine by me! I have tons of food so I could get by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I like blizzards too. Any kind of wild weather is fine by me.

      Delete
  5. At least we'll know who to blame!
    I can't believe you still live anywhere near an ocean. The whole hurricane thing terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown old with them so they don't scare me too terribly much. It helps that my husband is a 'good ol' country boy' with 4-wheel drives, chainsaws & generators. He can keep us safe through just about anything.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh....I know I shouldn't laugh. I'll just say, I don't think you will be held responsible for wiping NC and SC off the map.

    (Thanks for the chuckle tonight.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What ever it takes to survive, sister, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginians can thank me. :) I just hope we don't pay the price in the end when the storm circles around.

      Delete