Monday, September 10, 2018

Makers' Monday

So, we're talking about the weather today.



And I have "Oh the weather outside is frightful" stuck in my head and playing on repeat.  Thankfully, or not, it's just that one line from the song.  "Oh the weather outside is frightful..."

I know that while in the midst of it, every summer feels like the hottest, most humid summer on record.  But this summer....  This summer Had to be some kind of a record.

Knitting a striped scarf to indicate the daily temperatures in 2018.
2018 Weather Cowl

My weather cowl tube (I still don't know what it's going to be.  A cowl?  A scarf? A pile of knitting that sits in the corner mocking me?) only has one, solitary red stripe indicating a temperature above 95.  But that single, solitary stripe is so misleading.  We may have only had one day that the actual temperature was 96 or above, but the Feels Like temperature was over 100 for most of August.  Even our 80+ degree days had Feels Like temps of over 100.

"Oh the weather outside is frightful....."

And September has turned the humidity into actual rain.  It's been raining for several days, and it's going to keep on raining throughout the coming week and into the next.

And Hurricane Florence is heading our way.

"Oh the weather outside is frightful....."

I have to admit although I'm complaining, I love a good storm.  I've been slightly manic ever since Mr. Weatherman announced that Florence would most likely not stay out to sea.  So, I guess I'll just enjoy this period of energized productivity and keep singing "Oh the weather outside is frightful....."  and just be glad it's rain, not snow.

"Oh the weather outside is frightful..... let it rain, let it rain, let it rain..."

And if my whining about the weather hasn't scared you away and you're still reading, please join me for Makers' Monday.

12 comments:

  1. We just finished our 4th day of rain, and now it's sunshine and mild temps for the week!!! Yippee!! We might even have a fire pit fire soon. Dare I say Fall is here? Nope, cause it will definitely get hot again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's finally cooled off a little - it's in the lower 80's, but it's been rainy for over a week and the humidity is around 90%. You can't even tell if it's raining or just the moisture in the air. Ick!

      Delete
  2. It's lovely. I knit a Sky scarf several years ago, and its one of my favorite knits to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope Florence isn't too bad. I have to say .... I'm a bit tired of rainy weather. I want to get outside and hike, but man-oh-man, the trails would be far too soggy and slippery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting lucky with Florence. We were supposed to get hit, but she drifted southward. It's been 'squally' here and still horribly humid but it hasn't been constant rain.

      Delete
  4. Your scarf/cowl/pile of knitting is lovely! Stay safe in the storm. We have a lot of family in VA (VA Beach to Suffolk to Richmond) and am thinking of them all. The weather really has been frightful (thanks for the earworm).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You paid me back for the earworm. I kept reading that as "scarf/cow pile of knitting" and thought, dang, Vera doesn't pull any punches! :) Virginia got Very luck with the storm.

      Delete
  5. Will be thinking of you these next few days. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The storm ended up missing us. Actually, it's circling us and we are only feeling the very outer bands of her.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! We got lucky. The storm drifted south before making landfall. We're having a few blustery, rainy days but that's all.

      Delete