Sunday, September 16, 2018

Sunday Soup

Once again, I'm typing this in advance in anticipation of power outages due to Hurricane Florence.  I chose Chicken Stew for this week because it's easy, can be cooked several different ways, including on the grill, and the recipe is never harmed by a lack of or inclusion of extra ingredients.

photo couresty of tasteofhome.com

The recipe I follow is so basic and flexible, it's not really a recipe.  I generally include whatever I have on hand and in whatever quantity I have on hand until the stew pot (or Instant Pot) is full.  

The ingredients I always use are:

Chicken, white or dark, cut off the bone and cut into large bite sized chunks
Potatoes cubed or shredded*
Carrots cut into 1 inch pieces or shredded or whole baby carrots*
Chicken broth or stock (water and a couple of bouillon cubes will work in a pinch)
Salt
Pepper

Ingredients I usually add:

Celery, including leaves if available
Canned or frozen green beans
Canned or frozen corn
Diced onion
Diced garlic
Red bell pepper flakes
Hot sauce

Ingredients I occasionally use:

Rice** instead of potatoes
Frozen green peas or butter beans instead of green beans
Canned tomatoes and/or tomato sauce
Diced ham or salami
Cream or milk

*If I'm making this soup at the last minute and I'm low on ingredients, I'll shred the carrots and potatoes instead of chopping/cubing them.  Shredding them makes for a less liquidy stew and it cooks quicker.

**When cooking on the stove top or in the oven, I wait to add the rice until the last 20 - 30 minutes of cooking time.

To prepare, I cook the chicken, onion, garlic and celery in a little bit of olive oil until the chicken turns white.  Then I add all the other ingredients and add enough water to cover.  Put a lid on the pot and either simmer on the stove top for 45-60 minutes; put the pot in a 325 degree oven for several hours, or use the Instant Pot for 25 - 30 minutes.  Or in the likely case this week, when we probably don't have power (I'm typing this in advance of the hurricane, remember?) we can set the pot on the grill and cook it outdoors.

Again, I'm praying for those in Florence's path.  With or without power, I hope you are able to enjoy a hot meal today.

11 comments:

  1. Hope you are still with power. I have never thought to use chicken in stew. We are beef stew eaters, so all your add ins are what we use. I guess I am too tied to chicken being in noodle soup. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like both chicken and beef stew. I like the chicken version because I almost always have chicken in the freezer but rarely have the beef... And I like meals that I don't have to think about until I'm already hungry. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope your power holds out! I t sounds like you are prepared, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We got lucky. Florence drifted to the south of us before making landfall.

      Delete
  3. That sounds tasty. I hope your power stays on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you keep your power. The soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is delicious, and SO easy! My favorite kind of meal.

      Delete
  5. Stay safe and enjoy your soup (I never thought I'd write THAT Sentence!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I can smell that delicious stew here. Yum!

    ReplyDelete