Friday, August 24, 2018

Photo Friday

After finishing the denim faux cabled fingerless gloves the other day, I decided to be a responsible adult and pick up a project from the UFO pile instead of starting something new.


Although I love the colorway of these socks, I hadn't been enjoying knitting them when I tossed them into the UFO pile.  It dawned on me recently the reason I wasn't enjoying them was that the dpns I was using were too pointy.  Way too pointy! While knitting the purl stitches on the heel flap, I kept splitting stitches and ending up with more on the needle than I'd started with.  I'd gotten frustrated and tossed the sock into the UFO pile.

About the time I realized what had been bothering me, I also realized that I could use two circular needles instead of dpns.  I don't know why I've never knit socks this way before.  My goodness!  Knitting socks on two circular needles is SO much faster than knitting with dpns!  I'm sure that unless today is the day you learned to knit, you probably already knew this but.....  Oh my goodness!  This has been a life changing realization for me!


7 comments:

  1. In commenting on Quite A Yarns post today about my favorite knitting tool I realized I have a bait bag full of unused double points! Now I just used 2 interchangeable needles. So why do I keep a hold of these unused items? They are good for pushing out the corners of my sewing projects. LOL!!! But I don't think I need 15 sets of double points for those times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still a dpn devotee and probably always will be. LOL

    Good luck with your project. Hope it soars along now that you have the right needles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much difference in "knitting enjoyment" the proper tools can make! :-) I, for one, despise knitting on two circulars, but I'm so glad you've discovered them as your key to sock-happiness. (Give me DPNs any day. . . ) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I would confused as dirt with two circular needles and I like my DPNs...but glad you found the solution for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I should try this method. I am just such a creature of habit! I tried magic loop for socks, and that didn't work for me. But two circs sounds easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the sock finish. Love your blue nails in the previous post, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. look at you finishing projects :) I love dpns for socks the best but I'm a diehard dpn knitter :)

    ReplyDelete