Wednesday, August 8, 2018

On the Needles

What's on my needles?  

It's more like, what's Still on my needles.

Simple garter stitch shawl, great for beginners, knit with Hawthorne from Knit Picks

I'm still knitting my Sunstorm shawl, mentioned here.  Although it feels like a never ending knit, I'm enjoying watching it grow.  There's enough fluctuation in each yarn to hold my interest throughout all that garter stitch, plus, because it's garter stitch, I can read my email, other blogs, or a few pages of my book while I knit.  Being able to multi-task like that is pretty important to my sanity during this period of my work season.

Several people have asked about the pattern I'm using.  Actually, I'm not using a pattern.  I'm just knitting along until I get so bored I can't stand it.  In the beginning, I started with three stitches and increased until I was bored to the point of declaring it wide enough.  (That point happened at 135 stitches if you're curious.)  When I get bored with the color I'm using, I force myself to knit a few more rows then begin the next color by knitting two-row stripes for a while.  So far, the stripes range from three stripes to seven.  I've based their number on how bored I was and with how much of the old color I had left.

The only problem I've run into with knitting the shawl based on the boredom factor is that I'd originally planned to begin the decreasing once I got to the yellow.  The shawl wasn't long enough though so I'll finish knitting the yellow skein (or get as close to finishing it as I can stand) then add the other half of the speckled yarn before I begin the decreasing.  I think it will be fine in the end.

Hopefully, this shawl will be finished by the end of next week.  Then it's decision time.  Do I knit Christmas gifts with the gigantic box of yarn I ordered last month?  Do I knit the sweater my daughter is asking for, although she can't decide on a pattern?  Do I knit 11+ hats in an effort to catch up on my goal of knitting 52 hats in 2018?  Or do I knit something from the giant box of yarn I ordered yesterday?

Decisions, decisions!

7 comments:

  1. It looks great! Love the colors and easy knitting can be great sometimes.
    Fun decisions to be made... All possibilities sound equally tempting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your shawl and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Why not just start them all? You know you want to. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! (And you make me smile.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the stitch work on this shaw and the different colors used. Thanks for the share, have a fantastic rest of your week. Keep up the posts. Amazing work.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your shawl. Love the colors, love the size, love that it's a "boredom pattern" - lol. And yup, I'd start everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shawl and I love how you are going about making it. I think that it is so nice to go with the flow and figure it out as you move along.

    ReplyDelete