Wednesday, August 24, 2016

There is a difference!

Have you ever wondered about the difference between knitting two together through the back loop  versus slipping two stitches then knitting them together?  I've always thought of the two methods as interchangeable.

heel gusset for hand knit socks, Yarn Along, and reading My Familiar Stranger
Heel Gussets

Apparently, there is a difference.  For the gusset on these sock heels, I accidently knit through the back loop on the top sock and SSK'd on the bottom sock.  Can you see the difference?  The back loop method has a slightly flared, wavy line to it while the SSK version formed a much straighter line.

I'm not going to bother fixing my mistake.  The socks are for me and I doubt anyone but a fellow knitter would ever notice the error and I further doubt too many knitters will be checking my heel gussets once the socks are on my feet.  I'm claiming no harm, no foul on this one, but it is nice to know that there really is a difference.  A tiny difference that could be huge in certain designs.

And since this is Wednesday and I'm joining Ginny's Yarn Along, I'll tell you what I'm reading this week.  I'm reading Victoria Danann's My Familiar Stranger.  It's the first in a series of books about a secret society that fights vampires.  At least I think that's what it's about.  I'm 29% into the book according to my Kindle and haven't seen any vampire action so far so maybe I'm confusing this book with something else.  I do know it's the first in a series and it's currently free on the Kindle.  And, I'm enjoying it with our without vampires.

8 comments:

  1. love your stripey yarn :) and yes I did know there is a difference but then I've been knitting forever and a day. I do love how when I learn something new though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it was one of those things that I sort of knew but had to see in order to believe it.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't "fix" that either. Who is going to look that closely at your socks?
    I am hesitant to read free books, which is probably a stupid thing. I like my books to be vetted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem I find with free books is that they tend to be FULL of typos. I read one once that changed the main character's name midway through the book! The last few I've read have not been bad at all though and if I read for free, there's more money for yarn! :)

      Delete
  3. I am not an experienced knitter so even though you pointed out the mistake I have a really hard time seeing it. Those socks are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My poor photography skills don't help any. :)

      Delete
  4. Those two decreases are a little different but I don't think it makes any difference on socks. You should use the one that you are comfortable with. Your socks look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The difference isn't bothering me at all for these socks but it sure would be obvious on say, a sweater front.

      Delete