Friday, August 26, 2016

On its way

Great White (remember the great white thing?) is finally on its way to its new owner.  I hope she enjoys using it.

simple hand knit baby blanket pattern, checkerboard blanket pattern, free knitting pattern
The Great White Baby Blanket

I'm also really happy that the humidity finally dropped enough to be ale step outside without instantly fogging up my glasses and camera lens.  It's been a long, humid summer.

If you're interested in how I knit the Great White baby blanket (yes, it was a baby blanket) I'm putting a quick and dirty version of the pattern below.  The blanket is basically stockinette & reverse stockinette squares surrounded by a garter stitch border.  You could easily change the number of stitches and rows to accommodate any yarn weight.


Simple Checkerboard Baby Blanket:

Aran Weight yarn and #8 needles or size needed to obtain gauge

Gauge:  4 stitches per inch or 16 stitches per 4 inches

K = knit
P = purl
pm = place marker
sm - slip marker
BO = bind off

Cast on 180 stitches
Row 1:  Knit 10 stitches, place marker, knit 160 stitches, place marker, knit 10 stitches.
Row 2 - 18:  Knit across all stitches
Row 19:  K 10 stitches, sm, *K 10, P 10* to marker, sm, K 10
Row 20: K10, sm, knit the knits & purl the purls to marker, sm, K10
Row 21 - 34:  Repeat Row 20
Row 35:  K10, sm, *P 10, K10* to marker, sm, K10
Row 36 - 48: Repeat Row 20

Continue working Rows 19 - 48 until blanket is 2 inches short of desired length.  
Knit across for18 rows.
Bind off.


Please note:  I typed this pattern up based on the notes I scribbled while knitting the blanket.  I have not tested these written instructions.  If you decide to test them, please let me know if you find errors.  I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful blanket, and the border looks great. Thanks for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete